Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have an Auto XXXXX 2.8 Diesel 2005 with 93K miles.

Customer Question

I have an Auto Chrsyler Voyager 2.8 Diesel 2005 with 93K miles. When manoeuvring at low speed it is jerky almost as though the handbrake is on. When drawing to a halt at traffic lights the car will jolt as it stops as though the transmission has been shifted to Park. In reverse the resistance and jerkiness is worse. Car drives fine at speed.

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.

welcome to Just Answer/Pearl. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to assist
you with your question today.

Are there any warning lights coming on?

How does the transmission fluid look?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No warning lights, the fluid is clear and as I recall a clear light brown colour. Problem occurs in any gear at speeds below 3 to 5 Mph about this speed the car will free wheel in neutral but as soon as it drops below 3 to 5Mph its as if Park has been engaged

Terry

Ok,the issue that you are having is consistent with the torque converter for the transmission causing the issue that you are having. The converter splines get worn over time and cause the transmission to do this. The torque converter sits in between the engine and transmission and requires the transmission to be removed in order to replace.