Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

2.5tdi (V.M.Engine) completely rebuilt: Crank regrind, new

Customer Question

2.5tdi (V.M.Engine) completely rebuilt: Crank regrind, new liners and pistons, heads skimmed, new oil pump, new hydraulic tappets and all the associated bearings, seals etc.
My problem appears to be with oil pressure. Although the oil light remains off, there doesn't appear to be enough oil reaching the top end thus, what I think, starving the tappets and creating a heavy tappety sound (fault definitely lies with tappets, push rods, rockers). The block and associated pipework were thoroughly and meticulously cleaned and blown through prior and during re-assembly. currently using a very heavy 20/50 oil which has helped slightly but these tappets are driving me barmy. can you help?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - Im sorry to see you have had a wait..

Can you tell me where you are up to now - what progress if any, you have made...? Then we can progress -

Rgds - MIKE..................................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike

As far as I am concerned, the engine should be purring like a kitten as everything has been totally re-built and renewed in accordance with the technical spec from a Chrysler workshop manual (garage version) . The engine is running and all seems fine apart from the tappety (heavy) sound coming generally from the area of pistons 1&2.

As I said before, there appears to be some sort of oil starvation in the rocker area. Just ordered an oil gauge; as soon as it arrives, I will be able to check the pressure properly but the oil light is staying out and known to be working properly. Martyn Lawrence

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply.

The first thing to say on this Martyn is that using 2/50 oil is not good - the hydraulic tappets cant cope with that -the oil wont go through them let alone the oil feed holes etc ..

You haven't mentioned what oil you have used before - but you should get the 20/50 out - flush the engine now and then use the correct grade..

Im supposing you did in the first place - but if not, you must do that -else you risk engine damage...

If then you still have the problem -then other than a restriction in the lines that you are saying you are sure is not the case, then it has to be a fault with the oil pump..

So yes- you need to be checking the oil pressure - the light will be out on 20/50 - and you need to change the oil as above before testing -- and then go from there..

Let me know how you get on Martyn - but it is looking like that is the issue you have -

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything else..

Meantime - please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.