Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi Guys. we have a Voyager; 2.8CRD automatic. just off the

Hi Guys. we have a Voyager; 2.8CRD automatic. just off the motorway and the engine just died, not to go again. our local expert plugged his diagnostic (Fluke Bluetooth) into it and decided there was no electrical problem. we disconnected the output pipe from the main fuel pump, when pumping the primer pump, fuel came out, when then cranking the motor, very little fuel came.. should be 300bar!? apparently the only answer is to replace the main fuel pump, this means removing the timing cover, belt, and it looks like a nightmare (air-con collector in the way and no space to work)... is this the only answer or is there an alternative??

It is a 2006 year, 2.8CRD Automatic (standard (not Grand)) with around 41,000 miles on the clock

are there any electrical connections that would cause the motor to stop and give same result??

I have a sneaking suspicion that there's nothing wrong with the fuel pump and some tiny wire connection somewhere has come adrift and the whole shebang stops!?!?

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

The two things that will cause the issue that you are having is the main fuel pump or the crankshaft position sensor. Both of these parts will fail without warning and result in what you currently have going on.
What I would suggest as a first step is to have the crank sensor ohm tested before attacking the fuel pump.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mike. Sorry for the delay, I had to go to Holland for 3 days. I have tested the crankshaft position sensor and it measures OK and gives small pulses on cranking. I still don't believe it is the fuel pump by itself... What else do you think it could be?
Those two parts are the only thing that will cause this problem on your vehicle unfortantly, the next step is to check the fuel pump.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what about the Fuel Flow Control Valve?? It is mounted on the back of the fuel pump with 3 cap screw bolts, wouldn't that have an effect on the running?
Yes this would affect the way the vehicle runs but it would not keep the vehicle from starting.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mike. I'm trying to get hold of a new or second hand Flow Control Valve. I borrowed one from a 2 litre Suzuki Vitara, and the Voyager engine started and ran.

What sort of signal does the S C V get? Is it just a plain on/off solenoid valve or is it a proportional valve ie; variable or in stages?
It is just a plain on off open and close valve, I'm glad you got it started.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

The borrowed solenoid valve was "only Borrowed", I had to return it, I'm now waiting for another one, but it looks like I have to buy the whole injection pump to get another solenoid valve... the agents want a HUGE amount of money for the valve alone!!! Hoping it will arrive tomorrow.

By the way...the motor will not start at all with the original Fuel Control Valve in place.. I want to check if the control valve does anything when I put voltage on it... Do you know what voltage the system puts on it to operate it? ie: 12Volts? or would it be less? I don't want to totally destroy the damm thing just in case the problem is elsewhere... First Do No Harm!

You should be reading 12 volts at the valve with a volt meter.
Mike Kelly, Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike, Sorry for the delay, we are still waiting for the spares, but, I return to South Africa tomorrow, so someone else will have to fit the solenoid flow control valve when it finally puts in an appearance. Many thanks for your help. best regards. James