Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Hi I have a 05 Chrysler Voyager LX 2.8 diesel. I has recently

Hi I have a 05 Chrysler Voyager LX 2.8 diesel. I has recently become difficult to start and takes 3 or 4 turns to spark up. Doesn't matter if it is already warm or 1st thing in the morning. It will start 1st time if running and then immediately restarted, but leave it 5mins and it requires a few turns at least? The garage have looked at it and Chrysler suggested that it may be a fuel pump housing leaking air back into the fuel system, hence taking time to turn over and re-pump fuel into the engine? Anyway my garage are reluctant to change anything, charge me and then the fault remains (they are good like that). They suggested a diagnostic, the guy I took it to was useless and didn't provide any readout of any potential problems. Back to stage 1!
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I was expecting a reply a bit faster, but Please continue looking for a Chrysler expert to answer my query.

thanks S.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise..

Im sorry to see you have had a wait - personally I have been off this last week - evidently no one else has picked up your question...

Before we progress - do you have any lights on that are not usually there when you have this problem - flashing or other ??

Too - exactly what has been done / parts replaced etc , if any in a bod to cure this?

Too - have any tests been carried out ? with results ? ( other than what you mentioned )

What is the mileage - ?

What is its service history like - ? ie - when was the last engine service carried out?

Rgds, MIKE.....................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No unusual lights on.

No tests, I was advised to have a diagnostic but the guy who I paid to do it was rubbish, that said he stated that he thought it was a pressure sensor in the fuel pump and wanted to charge me £300. I backed out when he fitted it and said it appeared to be better, but the car still required some accelerator to start. I always used to start with no accelerator at all. Especially when cold as using the accelerator appeared to negate the choke. It appears harder to start when it has been running for a bit to be honest.

65,000 miles

It could do with a full service to be honest.

I filled the tank with petrol about 1year ago. I didn't start it, and got it drained before refilling with diesel. My local garage changed the fuel filter, which to be frank is when the starting issue began.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Sean -

My sincere apologies, Im afraid I had to be off for a time with Im sorry about that..

Just a first thing to note - for your info really - these systems dont have a "choke" - they are totally different on the diesel - a different set up. As you say quite rightly , there should be no need to use the acc to start - and indeed, that wont' make any difference....

The person that did that "diagnostic" for you - for him to have gone and replaced the FP sensor, one would have thought he did that on the strength at least of a fault code - he should have told you what fault codes were retrieved...if any.

Im thinking actually that he didn't retrieve any and guessed at that.... but in the even of a fault - and no fault codes, what needs to be done then is Live Data tests - this is then compared with "specs" for the system - to trace the fault down.... Its looking like thats the next move here now Sean - again - assuming he retrieved nothing by way of fault codes...

But - I dont think he is the person to be doing it for you Sean - I dont think from what has been said / done, he has the equipment needed... Im going to have to suggest that you take it to a local Diesel specialist Sean... because this fault that you have does need diagnostic equipment on it.. ( assuming the basics have been done - such as checking for fuel filter / air filter clogging etc )... If they have not been done - have them checked / renewed first - then go from there...

After that - a vacuum test should be done on the fuel supply system - before diagnostics, to check for any air leak - which would cause leak back on the fuel system...and that is a common fault on diesels...

If that is found, thats great - all done and no diag tests needed... If not -then the next is diagnostics - I suspect the injectors at this stage... to explain, a leaking injector ( or more than one, will prevent the system from building pressure when cranked- the system has to reach a certain pressure before the Ecu ( computer) will allow the injectors to open - and hence the engine to start.. I suspect this is happening to be honest - so thats the way to work forward and get this sorted for you Sean..

Once again - my sincere apologies for the delay in my reply....

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meanwhile - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert