Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 automatic. It's an 05 plate

I have a Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 automatic. It's an 05 plate that I've had for 6 years. Only 45000 miles so it hasn't been hammered. But it lacks oomph. Should there be an overdrive or a turbo that kicks in when you need power? It runs really well but it's more like a 1.6 than a 3.3 V6. Any ideas?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise.
Can you give me the cars FULL reg - we can start there..
Plus - do you get any fault lights on the dash --and / or, any excess smoke out the exhaust when you try to power it --?
Rgds, MIKE.........................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike

The registration number is ***** There are no warning lights on the dash, and no excess smoke from the exhaust.

The car has always driven well. I got the plugs and filters changed two years ago thinking that it would improve performance, but didn't make any noticeable difference.

When I'm driving and want to overtake for instance, the car will rev up with the automatic transmission, but won't pick up. If I floor it, the automatic transmission will "drop it down a gear", and allow the rev counter to race up. When I slacked off, the automatic transmission will "change up a gear", but the speed hasn't significantly picked up. I have never managed to get over 80 mph.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike

I got the registration number wrong. It's SG04VHP.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Robert -
Thank you for that -
Can I just further ask then - have you had a garage check it out at all - any fault tests / plug in type etc?
Rgds, MIKE......................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No fault concerns. I had it checked out when I had problems with the abs sensor light. Had it hooked up to an analyser and the only faults that showed up were for the sensors. This was solved by replacing two sensors. Fault record was reset and no faults since.

I have always wondered if the automatic transmission was transferring all the acceleration to the drive. If it was a manual, it feels like the clutch is slipping and the engine is revving excessively.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Robert -
Thank you for your reply again.
This info does all help to narrow things down -
If you had any real troubles with the likes of a turbo..and so on.. injectors, fuel pump etc - you would get a fault light on the dash.. which in turn would mean you would have fault codes logged in the ecu - which are then retrieved to help with the diagnosis... but you have non of this... other than what you have mentioned above -
So- we are down to one of two things... One that comes to mind would be if you had a restriction in the exhaust system - for example, a failing cat converter -they break up partially and cause a partial blockage - meaning the engine cannot fully rev - as its exhaust is strangled.
Now usually you can determine this simply - if the engine will rev fully -no issues when driving or even stood - then its not really going to be that -
So then yes- and I think this is your trouble - troubles with the auto transmission.
Too with the transmission it is all;electronically controlled - If you get any troubles with range sensor / switches / solenoids etc, you will get a TCM light on. You don't have that so that tends to rule out the command side... meaning - even as you say, its internal.
I feel from all you have described that the fault is with the clutches in the transmission. It is as you describe - slipping like a manual clutch would if worn.
These have whats called clutch bands and often they can be adjusted - but it is something of a specialist task.
I would strongly recommend to look up a local Auto Trans specialist and have them take a look. They have the knowledge and toolery that is needed to cure this for you - Its generally always cheaper to use such people for that reason - and if it is proven then that it is something else - they can usually repair the trans rather than just replace it - which is what general garages tend to opt for -at horrendous expense.
So thats the way forward on this one I feel Robert - its all looking that way.. and thats the best / cost effective way now for you to get this sorted.
It will be nice to have full power restored Im sure.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~~~>~ Meanwhile - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. Thank you in advance for that . ..
Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -
- Best Rgds Robert, MIKE.