Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

My 2002 Chrysler grand voyager will only select 1st 3rd and

Customer Question

my 2002 Chrysler grand voyager will only select 1st 3rd and 5th gear.
The 2nd 4th and reverse gears don't engage and the gearstick can be pushed any where downwards
Thanks Graham
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.Apologies for the delay in getting to your question! This sounds like a problem with the gear selector cables or the selector mechanism, I strongly doubt this is a fault with the gearbox it's self. Either one of the cables have slipped in the adjuster causing the adjustment to be lost, or a cable/ball joint has come loose, this will cause the problems you describe and is surprisingly common, often it is caused by a missing retainer pin and is a very quick and easy job to repair.It is not easy to see the linkages, but by looking at the right hand side of the engine bay, down to the gearbox you should see two cables towards the back which link to the gearbox, a torch and some one inside wiggling the gear lever will help identify them, you may see one of the cables are detached, Unfortunately they are not all that easy to get too and may require some dismantling to get good access to find the root cause and repair the linkage.
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions or require further assistace, if your happy with my answer please don't forget to provide a rating, thanks, Ross.