Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Chrysler Voyager 2.5 diesel 2004 88.000 miles constant smoke

Customer Question

Chrysler Voyager 2.5 diesel 2004 88.000 miles
constant WHITE smoke from exhaust. not blue black or grey. no water loss no fuel loss, engine running fine no miss fires or power loss starts first time. not condensation in exhaust
have been a mechanic for 40 years and this is driving me crazy. ANY suggestions please I've never come across this before.?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

if you're sure its not using water then you will also get white exhaust smoke with it over fueling so I'd start by checking all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked