Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Assistant: What is your issue regarding? I have a 2008

Customer Question

Good afternoon
Assistant: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I have a 2008 Chrysler 300c CRD Diesel
Assistant: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: the aouto transmission has suddenly stopped changing gear from first and the Cruise control will not set. Could this be down to a faulty auto transmission module?
Assistant: Are you fixing your 300C yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Geoff
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Ideally yes
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The engine was last serviced 5 weeks ago and the engine is 9 years old but regularly serviced
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Ideally I'd say the next step is to plug in a dealer level scan tool that can pull off the fault codes for the transmission

but its also well worth checking the oil level and check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you