Mike
Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 11 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

hello there, Ive been trying to get my long case clock to

Customer Question

hello there, I've been trying to get my long case clock to strike. When I manually rotate the hands every thing works beautifully in sequence , it warns correctly, and strikes correctly. When I allow it to go under its own steam, the pawl seems to get wedged against the first tooth on the rack. Its wedged so tight that the minute wheel is not able to lift the warning piece . I'm not sure what to do next
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Shantal, could you please continue the search, at least for another week or so . I would love to get an answer to this problem. thanks again. Tadhg

Hello Tadhg,

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hi, My name is Mike and it is my pleasure to assist you. First check to see all the gears are tight into place and also check for any loose pins. It sounds like when it goes under its own power the pawl that you call it works its way out of sync possibly a worn or damaged tooth on the gear. Check for any foreign debris. Try these options out and let me know what happens. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.There is no additional fee charged for my services.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello mike , thanks for your reply. The pawl (hook) seems ok, fitting well on its pin. The most annoying thing about this is that sometimes it will warn and strike correctly, and on time, but most times it just gets to the warning and stalls. I'm wondering if it could be the lines (cords) as they are very old and not of the proper material. Could they be loosing energy to drive on the mechanism, because of a friction loss or a stretch in the cords. Tadhg

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tadhg, Yes that could happen most of the time you can aquire catgut they are very good strong strings and last a very long time. Also maintenance could do wonders to save my customers money from me servicing there clock I recommend one of the best cleaning kits available it comes with a step by step DVD they ship worldwide. A good cleaning and re oiling job will add life and enjoyment. Just click the link below. Thanks Mike

www.clockworks.com/clock-repair-kit/clock-cleaning-kit.html

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello mike, Tadhg here again, I've got catgut lines from M+P and have put them on to no avail. Clock still going well but won't lift the warning mechanism

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tadhg, There has to be a loose gear or wire support no connected or inline to activate the warning mechanism. Without seeing the movement it is hard for me to tell you what is out of place. If you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just
let me know your location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Also have you cleaned & re oiled your movement?. Thanks Mike

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello mike, sorry about delay in replying, but I'm rather disappointed in the service and answers that I received from your web site. The only advice I received from you was that which I suggested myself and then confirmed by you. (check my questions and answers). The question is still, as my very first question, why will my clock strike perfectly if I rotate the hands manually, but wont lift the warning mechanism under its own steam. I replaced the tension spring. the hands need to be so tight against the spring that when, and if it strikes, it usually stops the clock or slows it significantly . Tadhg

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tadhg, Without seeing the clocks movement I suggested what to look for. If you have to move the hands manually to make the clock strike there has to be a drive gear that will not move until the correct pressure is applied the problem is what drives the gears your springs need to be increased or the weight needs to be increased which you should not have to do that is why I mentioned a total breakdown to clean & re oil your movement then correctly reassemble the movement and see what happens. That is what I would do if I had your clock at my shop, sometimes just replaceing parts doesn't do the trick but combining the new parts to a well cleaned and oiled movement does the trick it isn't easy for clock problems I get frustrated all the time. Try these options out and let me know what happens. Thanks Mike