Mike
Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 11 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

Long case clock: the escapement and second hand are running

Customer Question

Long case clock: the escapement and second hand are running at correct speed but the minute and hour hands seem to not quite keep up. Is there some sort of clutch there [that allows you to turn and set the hands], which in this case is slipping?
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Hi Andrew, My name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you. What type movement do you have that requires a second hand on a longcase clock? Does your pendulum have a rating nut? Have you tried to adjust the pendulum leader from left to right and visa versa? Check to see if the clock is level both ways. Everything in the clocks movement is combined together if there is something that is not running in sync could be that one of the sprokets has a worn or damaged tooth. Also check to see if the minute and hour hands are still properly set on there arbor shafts. You can also try to adjust the crutch see the diagram below. Try these options out and let me know what happens. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

The best method is to bend the crutch at the back of clock. This is the way in which a clockmaker would normally put a clock "in beat," but it does require care- otherwise the crutch or the escapement may be damaged.

The crutch is bent in the opposite direction to the side on which the pendulum has to move farthest before the clock ticks. This is a delicate operation and the crutch will usually require several adjustments before the beat is even. Unfortunately, the strength of crutches varies greatly, some bending easily and others only with appreciable force.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi Andrew, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.