Mike
Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 11 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I have a 1940 spring driven clock, the numbers are 15cm 178.28

I have a 1940 spring driven clock, the numbers are 15cm 178.28 the clock strikes the hour but does not dong 1.2. 3 etc etc...........
Can you help
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hi John, My name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you.

First, The next time the clock chimes the hour move just the HOUR HAND ONLY in a clockwise motion to match the number of chimes. Next move the minute hand only in a clockwise manor stopping to let the clock chime until you reach the desired time if needed. Next would be maintenance as a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy
and the chime/strike train start slowing down or will get stuck and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. It may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. To save my customers money from me servicing there clock I recommend one of the best cleaning kits available it comes with a step by step DVD and they ship worldwide. A good cleaning and re oiling job will add life and enjoyment.
Just click the link below. Worst case is that the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position and will not allow the movement to strike the number of hours. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. If you want to attempt the correction yourself I would recommend you to the following book from your local library. "THE CLOCK REPAIR FIRST READER" by "Phillip Bascomb." Beginning on page 6.10 Mr Bascomb illustrates and describes the working of a time/strike train. This book, with its illustrations, at hand you should provide a reasonable shot at doing it yourself. I would try cleaning and re oiling the movement first. If you elect to seek a repair company I can find a clock repair company in your area let me know your location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Try these options out and let me know what happens. Best wishes Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Mike, Consultant
Experience: I've been active in clock repair for 11 years - NAWCC member.