Mike
Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 11 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

Estimated that my clock mechanism was made in Britain, circa

Estimated that my clock mechanism was made in Britain, circa 1750, by Ansell of Ramsgate.
I have been trying to work out how I fix my replacement gut to my grandfather clock mechanism. I have located the hole in which it enters on the barrel but cannot work out how I tie it securely after it is pushed through the hole.

Thank you for your advice.

Regards, John
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Hi John, My name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you. There are 2 types of winding barrels that I have worked on. First is the type that should separate where you can insert the gut and then slide the gut through the hole the tie a knot. The next style had 2 holes in the winding barrel one large and one small insert the length of gut through the large hole tying a knot at one end so that when you pull the gut through the knot will catch on the backside of the smaller hole. I used a line with bees wax twisted into a cord. Try these options out and let me know what happens. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Mike for your prompt answer. As it happens, while I was waiting for your answer I had another probe around the mechanism and saw the large hole at the side of the barrel, to which you refer.

However, it was nice to receive confirmation of what to do next and I am grateful to you for pointing this out.

Regards John

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Hi John, Yes if you ever need help in the future JustAnswer is always here. Thanks Mike

for helping you.