Mike
Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 11 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

i have a smiths clock circa 1930s with floating balance movement,

i have a smiths clock circa 1930s with floating balance movement, it goes approx 5mins slow every day even with the adjustment on the balance wheel turned all the way towards F, any advice, thank you.
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Sorry for the inconveinence I'm heading to the ER do be checked on but I should be home around 5:30 EST and I'll get with you about your question then. Thanks Mike
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hi Con, I'm back from the ER. Yes if you have maxed out the balance wheel. Those three legs are connected together. So, if you move one, you move all three. Each move of one point, you make a change aproximate 10 seconds/day. If you already move the pointer to the end (all the way faster), the clock still run slow, then you have to punch out the dots off the balance wheel. Punch one off each opposite side of wheel. Each pair dots off on the out most, will let you gain 3-4 minutes/day. So be careful. I have three floating balance wheel clocks in my shop that I just did this procedure to and they all run fairly accurately after carefully regulated. If your clock is not clean, you need to clean the clock before regulating it. Do not oil the balance wheel jewels or center spring line. Try this options out and let me know what happens. Thanks Mike

.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer " OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you..

.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike, the pointer is against the spoke of the balance wheel and there are still 7 holes on the other side of the spoke before the dots to be punched, is it possible that the pointer attachment was put back over the spoke at some time, if so can it be moved to the other side of the spoke?, thank you. ps i restore antique clocks as a hobby and this is my first experience with with the floating balance system.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hi Con, Yes it is possible that was done but that would have been really for nothing. You can try that but always remember before you do, the position of the pointer so you can start from that position if it doesn't work. So you will have the starting point to punch the new holes. Try these options out and let me know what happens. Thanks Mike

.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

.

.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi Con, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike