Mike
Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 11 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

Clock keeps stopping will only keep going if you set pendulum

Clock keeps stopping will only keep going if you set pendulum in a position where it gains time.
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. First check to see if the clock is level from side to side and front to back. If after you start the pendulum and it stops after a few minutes the clock might be out of beat. Restart the pendulum then listen to the tick-tock on the clock and see if it is nice, even tick-tock. It should sound steady and even like a metronome. Equal time between the TICK and the TOCK. The pendulum needs to swing exactly equal distances from dead center to the left, as from dead center to the right. If a clock is out of beat, the pendulum will swing for a few minutes, then stop even if the clock case is level. If the beat is irregular like: tock,tick------tock,tick- an adjustment must be made or the clock will stop. This can be done by either try leveling again from left to right by moving the clock very slightly from the bottom until you hear the most even tick-tock. This may not be physically level for the clock case. If this fails you may take off the pendulum and slightly move the pendulum leader from left to right or right to left until it almost or starts moving back and forth on it's own. It should have the same feel from dead center to right and dead center to left. Rehang the pendulum and the clock should continue and you are done. Try this option out and let me know what happens. Thanks Mike.If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answerby using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Also when was your clock last serviced meaning the clocks movement cleaned and re oiled? Thanks Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mike i have set the clock case slightly off centre and it seems to have done the trick but only time will tell. Smile

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Please keep me posted. Thanks Mike.If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answerby using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.