DrKlahn
DrKlahn,
63151004

A few weeks ago I was bought a Samsung laptop for my

Customer Question

A few weeks ago I was bought a Samsung laptop for my birthday. I decided to put a password ***** it to open the Windows. I did not use it for a couple of weeks and, yes you've guessed it, I have forgotten the password. It has given me a password ***** which it says is "seaside". This means nothing to me I am afraid. There must be a way to retrieve the password, after which I shall leave it blank, like my desktop. I have dealt with you before, possibly there is some credit left. I was known as examiner2 and had a password ***** Are you able to help please?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 4 years ago.
DrKlahn :

Thanks for using JustAnswer, the internet's independent site for Q&A consultation. I'm ***** *****, nicknamed "DrKlahn."

Notice / disclosure: JustAnswer is a commercial Q&A site not associated with any computer hardware or software manufacturer. The "9 second" banner ad means that site-wide, we answer 400 questions per hour - not that questions are answered in 9 seconds.

Please send me a short message when you're online and ready to begin.

DrKlahn :

(personal note 07:22 06-Nov-2012, no chat 15 min; save&wait pending customer joining session)

JACUSTOMER-48j8xbzg- :

okay, ready.

DrKlahn :

Thank you. There is a procedure for resetting the Windows password ***** a PC, but it is a bit complex. I think the way to start is to let you read the procedure, and then you can decide whether it is workable for you. If not, we can discuss alternate solutions.

DrKlahn :

Here's the procedure:

DrKlahn :

Resetting a user password ***** a Windows 7 system is not normally possible using standard Windows tools or safe mode. This is because the user's account is usually the only Administrator-privileged user account. The only exception is on systems where the Administrator account was enabled previous to the problem occurring. (The Administrator account is always disabled in Windows 7 unless specifically activated by the owner.)

In this situation, there are three options:

1. Guess the password.
2. Reset the password.
3. Reinstall Windows, losing everything on the drive.

Options 1 (guess it) and 2 (reset it) are discussed in some detail in the about.com article at the link below. You should definitely read that article before proceeding to get the necessary background information about these options.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/passrecovery.htm

I advise bypassing trying to guess the password (but read everything below; there is an exception) and go directly to resetting it. There is a freeware tool specifically for resetting lost Windows passwords. Use of the tool is detailed in the article at the link below:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/gr/offlinentpwed.htm

There is one peculiarity of this tool. Windows encrypted files owned by the target account will be permanently inaccessible after using this tool. If the account has no encrypted files, this is not an issue. If the account has encrypted files that cannot be lost, then the password ***** be guessed and not reset.

The password ***** tool is as simple as possible, but is still necessarily complicated because it has to bypass Windows. Bypassing Windows is the only solution -- there are no other ways to deal with this problem. If you're not comfortable with the procedure below, get a computer-literate friend to help.

You need another system to build the password ***** tool. That system must have Internet access and a CD/DVD burner. You will also need one burnable CD.

Visit the program author's site below. Download a copy of the ZIP file containing the ISO image file for the password ***** tool. Save the ZIP file to any convenient folder on your system.

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

After downloading the ZIP file, locate it and double-click on it. Select "Extract All." Extract the files to the same folder the ZIP file is in.

The .ISO file is a CD image file used to create a bootable CD. The file must be burned as a bootable CD - not as a data file - to a CD. If you don't know how to do this, the simplest method is to download the freeware ISO burner at the link below:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Choose the appropriate version for your system (at present, version 3.1 for Windows Vista and Windows 7.) Download the installation file to a convenient folder. After downloading it, right-click on the file and select "Install." Now go back to the .ISO file, right-click on it, and select "Copy image to CD."

After burning the bootable CD, go back to the problem computer and set the system BIOS to boot from CD first. Instructions for doing this should be in the user manual. If not, try pressing F2 or F10 repeatedly when the system starts up. When the system setup screen appears, locate the section controlling startup and set the boot options to "CD first" or the equivalent.

Then save the new settings, insert the bootable CD, restart the system and follow the instructions given on the screen to change the password ***** the target account. I recommend choosing a new password ***** than leaving the new password ***** Leaving the new password ***** results in no password ***** all.

After completing the reset procedure, remove the CD from the drive and restart the system. The password ***** the target account is now set to whatever you chose.

I strongly recommend reading the FAQ and walkthrough for this tool before using it.

When the problem has been resolved and you're able to log in again, I recommend enabling the Administrator account. Lost passwords are only one of the problems that require having a second privileged account available. To enable the Administrator account under Vista or Windows 7, see the link below:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

DrKlahn :

Let me know when you've read the above, and we can then discuss the possibilities.

JACUSTOMER-48j8xbzg- :

Have read it and it is beyond me, sorry. I have been in computers since 1981 and am fully computer literate but am now 80 years old and my brain is not what it was. What therefore do you suggest?

DrKlahn :

Since it's unlikely that the built-in Administrator account was enabled (Windows 7 always ships with it disabled), the only remaining solution is to take the system to a local computer shop and have them do the job. It will take about 10 minutes for a competent technician to clear the password.

DrKlahn :

The price on this will vary widely depending on where you take the system, so get price quotes beforehand.

JACUSTOMER-48j8xbzg- :

This was what I was going to do but then remembered your service and thought I would try you. There is a shop very near and I will go there. Thanks anyway. Will this still cost me £28 ?

DrKlahn :

It will be necessary to take in at least the desktop unit, and possibly the keyboard, mouse and display depending on the preferences of the individual shop. It is probably also possible to have a service call done on the unit at your home, but this will double to triple the cost.

DrKlahn :

That will depend on you. If you choose to not accept this solution, that is your right as a JustAnswer customer. We guarantee 100% satisfaction. However, not accepting an answer will be noted on your account, and it will make experts reluctant to answer your questions in the future.

DrKlahn :

If you would prefer to pay a smaller amount, I can forward your question to Billing and they can arrange for this.

DrKlahn :

That is pretty much the extent of how far I am allowed to discuss payment issues. Anything else has to go to Billing.

DrKlahn :

Can I assist you further today, on this issue or any other computer-related quesiton?

JACUSTOMER-48j8xbzg- :

A smaller amount would be fair. Incidentally if you look at my original question you will see it is a laptop so is no problem to carry to the shop.

DrKlahn :

Right you are. In that case I'll forward your question to Billing, and they'll be glad to help you with negotiating a number you feel is fair. This will cut us off instantly and prevent further communication in this session, so I won't be ignoring you from here on out -- it's the way the chat system works.

DrKlahn :

Thanks for using JustAnswer today, and we'll hope to see you again in the future. I'm now transferring your question to Billing.

JACUSTOMER-48j8xbzg- :

Hello billing, is there anyone there?