Russell H.
Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I have a HP DC5800 PC, i have installed Vista Business. the

Customer Question

I have a HP DC5800 PC, i have installed Vista Business. the PC seems fine but i cannot restart??? it just seems to go sleep and doesnt come back on.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Some critical factors of your case could affect my answer, and need to be asked about:

How long does it take for the PC to seem to go to sleep?

What shows up on the screen before it does so?

Depending upon several factors, you might either have a corrupted install (somehow or other) perhaps, or you might have a PC with a problem in the ADPCI BIOS or power management functions... or possibly, you simply chose the wrong option. So please tell me also, by what means you attempted to restart?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just goto start bottom left and restart, but it never comes back on.

Also: Does the PC start up, when you eventually try to start it up using the power button?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1, Usual time, about a minute.

2, when shutting down it shay "shuttng down" then it goes to sleep. i have to then switch it on and off to boot it back up.

Thank you for the reply and the information, James... that all sounds normal so far, except the failure to restart.

I note that you say you installed Vista Business on this PC... what was the Windows version on it before that, and did that version work OK as to restarting ?

Please go into Device Manager:
click on Start button, then type in
Device Manager
and wait a bit until it comes up as a link in the Start menu, then click on that link.
Are there any entries that stand out, in Device Manager? such as little icons with exclamation points, or little icons that are yellow question marks? if so, what text label is next to them?