Jason Jones
Jason Jones, Computer Technician
Experience:  10+ years of work experience.
30759776

I have an Asus all in one computer which has a c: drive with

Customer Question

I have an Asus all in one computer which has a c: drive with 80gb of storage which is now full and a D: drive with 831GB of storage which is empty.
Now every time I try to upgrade a program or save a piece of work I get a message saying insufficient memory.
What is the best way to resolve this?
Do I move the operating system onto D:
Move everything else onto D:
Make D: my new default setting?

I need help with any/all of these options
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Shefin replied 3 years ago.

Shefin :
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.
Shefin :
Please let me know when you are ready.
Expert:  Shefin replied 3 years ago.

I apologize that I did not get you on chat. However, I can assist you further in Question and Answer mode.

The Windows 7 / Vista System Restore feature will make sure that software installations, drivers, and other updates can be rolled back. The only price to this feature is some disk usage. And here, this caused the C drive to full. Please try disabling it by foillowing the instructions below and check if the issue persists.

Click Windows Start button, and from the Start menu, right-click on the Computer icon, and choose Properties:

Click on the System Protection link on the left-hand side:

Once you’ve done so, the steps are different depending on your OS.

Disable on Windows 7

Click the Configure button below the list of drives:

Now simply click the radio button to disable System Protection. (Note again that this is probably a bad idea).

That should be all you need to do. Then, check the C drive space.

I would suggest you do the following too, if the issue persists.

Go to the link given below, download and install Ccleaner.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

Install it and run it. After launching, click Analyze and then, run cleaner. After that, click Registry from the left pane of Ccleaner. Then, Scan for issues and Fix selected issues. There is no need to backup the registry.

I request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face once you have all the information you need. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

S H E F I N
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You do not explain how I can move programs from C: drive to D: drive or how to start using the D: drive
Expert:  Shefin replied 3 years ago.

Please watch the video below and let me know if you have any questions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okkQRr5-0sY

S H E F I N
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 3 years ago.
Please do not disable System Restore on your computer. It serves as a safety net going forward in case you need to roll back your computer. Is your D: drive a second drive or does your computer have one drive that has been partitioned (split) into two please?What Operating System is your computer using (XP; Vista; Windows 7/8)?
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

I see that you have been working on this problem for quite a bit of time.

I can remote in and increase the size of the C: drive by giving it some of the free space from the D: drive.

Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem? I will send a remote link within minutes after your response, so please keep refreshing the page. No extra charge.