Russell H.
Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

Hello. I have an Acer Aspire AX3400. I can not get my mouse

Customer Question

Hello. I have an Acer Aspire AX3400. I can not get my mouse to work. I have tried 2 new mice (never sure if that is the correct word for this lol), one wired and one wireless. Neither will work. I have also tried different ports to no avail.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try going into
Start - Control Panel - Mouse
and examine that control panel for anything that might be disabling the mouse from working. Also with the/a mouse plugged in/connected, go to
Device Manager
and look for the mouse under the 'pointing devices' branch, and see if it is there; if it is, is it covered with a red "!" or a yellow "?" perhaps? if you double-click on the mouse's icon in Device Manager to get the Properties, does it list anything wrong?

Have you installed a driver for the/these mouse or mice ?

Has a mouse worked with this computer previous to this? or is the computer new and has no mouse worked on it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for your reply. Yes, a mouse has been working ok for about 5 years on this pc now. How do I do what you suggest above without the mouse though?

To go into Start - Control Panel - Mouse, you can get there with the keyboard only.

To 'click' on Start button, press Ctrl and Esc.

To go to Control Panel from there, use the up arrow, and the left or right arrow keys, to move the highlighted area onto 'Control Panel'..... then, press the Enter or RETURN key once. (Which opens Control Panel.)

To select 'Mouse' from the control panel applets, use arrow keys to highlight Mouse, then Enter or RETURN to open that applet.

(You can move from tab to tab by way of Ctrl-TAB, or in the other direction by Ctrl-Shift-TAB. There are other keys to use, such as Alt-F4 to close a window that is currently selected, or Esc to reject or Cancel an option, etc.)

There is also a way to switch on the arrow-keys-move-the-mouse-pointer function... but that is somewhat complex and harder to do. Still, if you would need to know how, I'll explain it.

The mouse has worked previously. Has there been any other problems with the Acer PC lately?
Have the mice you have used on the Acer PC, been verified as working recently on some other computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the delay in answering. No, there have been no other problems with the pc and the mouse does work on another machine.

In the 'Mouse' applet in control panel, please look on something like the 'Device' tab, for whether the mouse is Disabled... if it is, Enable it. And on something like the 'Hardware' tab, for whether the mouse is installed and working properly. (I have to say 'something like' those tab names, because mouse control panel applets vary considerably.)

And after changing any setting in the control panel Mouse applet, be sure to click on OK to save changes... then try again.

Let me know, please. Thanks.