Brandon M.
Brandon M., Computer Technician
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
12024030

hello I have had my PC for 3 years, and all that time it keeps

Customer Question

hello I have had my PC for 3 years, and all that time it keeps doing "crash dump". It went back to KNOW HOW Pc world 2 times and each time they have wiped it requiring me to reinstall. I am fed up as it takes ages to restore. Can you recommend something, I only use a genuine version of MS Word and SKype nothing elss.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Brandon and I would be happy to help you.

If you are consistently getting the crash dumps and you have already restored several times, this is typically a sign that the cause of these crashes is actually hardware-related. There is no easy way to determine which piece of hardware in the computer is causing it other than troubleshooting by replacing each part individually. In most cases, unless the computer is still under warranty, this is not worth doing as the money you spend on replacement hardware can be put towards purchasing a new system instead.

Since you are having these issues and your computer is about 3 years old, my professional suggestion would be to look into getting a new computer. Most computers last about 3-5 years depending on the hardware used. I would be happy to help you find a new system if you have a budget already set or you can visit a local computer store and talk to the reps in the store. Just make sure you purchase Microsoft Office (Office 365) with your new system.

Hope this information helps.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

many thanks for your prompt reply, trouble is Knowhow says it is software realted, I guess they dont woant to fork out a replacement eh.

Blue screens (or crash dumps) can be both hardware and software related. Typically, if you continue to receive them after restoring or reinstalling your system, it is a hardware related issue at that point. If the system isn't under warranty (typical warranties are about a year), you are responsible for troubleshooting/repair.

As I said in my last reply, due to the age, it is probably not worth trying to replace components in the system or attempt to repair it.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Best regards,
Brandon