KamilAnwar
KamilAnwar, Hardware Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

I am a writer and am being hacked by the administrator of the

I am a writer and am being hacked by the administrator of the home network where I live. I have tried everything even to buying a new computer - I've tried this 3 times) - and having word installed and the internet disabled by a technician so that it was not on the internet when I took it home. I then tried working only in Safe Mode but that hasn't worked either. My documents are still being changed into various formats and exported. The controls on my laptop including Word have been taken over. There are all sorts of apps/programs running on my computer to do this.
I have a very secure lock on my study door but it hasn't made much difference.
Could you tell me:
Whether it is possible to have a computer that I can use safely offline when I live with such a determined hacker?
If so, could you tell me what hardware/software I could use and where I should go to get it and/or find technical help?
Or do you think I should give up?
Cheers,
J
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  KamilAnwar replied 3 years ago.

KamilAnwar :

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Kamil and i will do my best to assist you.

KamilAnwar :

Can i take a look at your computer remotely to see what is happening (and you show me what files were changed)?

Customer:

Sorry, my laptop is off the internet and I have uninstalled/disabled so much it would take a technician to put it back on again.

KamilAnwar :

There are a number of things we can do such as using a firewall like ZoneAlarm, and block all external access to the laptop.

KamilAnwar :

BUT it would have been nice to take a look at it so i could see what is happening.

KamilAnwar :

And if your laptop is completely off the (network) then there is no way for external intrusion into it

KamilAnwar :

You can also password XXXXX a folder where you have your documents OR remove documents from your computer and put them on Cloud (online) or External Drive and after you've done the work, you can remove the external drive, put it in your bag.

Customer:

Yes, well I think it is offline but I am still noticing software changes. I did use an external drive but he was still able to access the contents.

KamilAnwar :

How are you so sure that it is him? It could be a malware OR a virus?

KamilAnwar :

Some one with this level of expertise (what benefit) is for him in doing this?

Customer:

Because the same kind of sequence of events has been happening over a period of over 2 years over different computers. He is doing web development/marketing etc and there is a lot of professional software and hardware that gets installed on my computer. He still has my other computers as well and has lots of different stuff running. He uses my writing for articles for his blog. I think I should have made more notes on this before I contacted you!

KamilAnwar :

Now i get it.

KamilAnwar :

He may be making money from publishing your articles on his blog.

KamilAnwar :

I'll tell you what you should do:

Customer:

I don't care if he is as long as he just takes it and leaves my files alone so that I can still access them! I just want to feel secure when I am writing and not fear that I am going to lose access to my work.

Customer:

But best of all, keep my computer private!

KamilAnwar :

First, get all your documents (only the word files) not any executable program backed up onto an external drive - (you can get this from amazon). Make sure it does'nt contains any executable program (only documents). Then, take the computer and get a clean install of your operating system, wipe out everything. Put a password XXXXX your computer on the firmware and on the windows logon, then get a dongle from three mobile OR t-mobile to access network/internet (don't connect to the internet) inside the house, connect only to your device. This would deny any access from him, since he cannot get in using the internet outside of the network you are currently on - and putting the password XXXXX ensure no one (when you are away) can physically log into it. Along with this, create one folder on your desktop and password-protect all the files in it, so to open that folder a person would need the password.

Customer:

Does that mean the hard drive shouldn't have an executable program? How can I tell?

KamilAnwar :

We are doing this to perform a clean install. As a first step, we want to make sure that we don't put executable files on the external drive, BUT only put documents. Documents (have a .doc, docx extensions in them) and they open in Word. Adobe documents, have a .pdf extension and they open in Adobe and text documents have a .txt extension and they open in notepad. Since our concern is documents, we only want to put the documents on the external drive before doing a complete wipe-off and re-install of operating system.

KamilAnwar :

This is important because after the re-install, you will need to put your documents back on the computer to ensure that you can continue your work.

Customer:

I get it. I shall do everything you suggest. I don't know much about IT but my experiences enable me to recognise excellent strategic advice! Brilliant, thank you, Kamil.

KamilAnwar :

You're Welcome. If you wish, just keep me copied in all the steps so i can assist.

KamilAnwar :

You can log back into your JustAnswer.co.uk account and type your responses by clicking on this question.

Customer:

Great. Thanks a lot.

KamilAnwar :

You're Welcome. And, if you can take a second to rate my service below that will be greatly appreciated.

Customer:

Yes, excellent service. Thanks a lot.

KamilAnwar :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the smiley icon below my answer to rate the service.