Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Hi, I have been having a recurring problem with my PC for

I have been having a recurring problem with my PC for a few years now, and there doesn't seem to be much left for me to try, to fix it.
The PC shuts down unexpectedly, normally when Videos or live media are online, but recently offline as well.

I have an old ATX Motherboard, with an AMD Athlon 64 x 2 Dual Core processor.
I have upgraded the RAM to 4GB DDR3, thinking that maybe 1.5 Gb couldn't handle it anymore.
I bought 2 x 1TB SATA Hard Drives to cope with the extra music & videos my children store on it. This caused a boot up problem, so i bought a larger (650W) PSU.
The OS (Windows 7 Ultimate) is on a standard 160 GB IDE HHD (C: Drive )
I have also upgraded the Graphics Card to an NVIDIA GT 420, thinking maybe this was the cause, but it still shuts down at any time, usually when someone is online.
It seems that my only option left is to upgrade the CPU.
What do you think?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Simon
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

When it shuts down, do you get a message before it does? Or it just shuts down instantly?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It shuts down instantly, with no warning.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

then it is not limitation with memory or any of the components.

It is either corruption on the hard drive or registry, or the power supply is shorting out, so we need to confirm this.

To do this, we eliminate any corruption within the data and registry.

do the following please

Download CC Cleaner (free) from here

CC Cleaner

(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)

Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.

Once done, restart the computer

Than

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Then test and tell me if it still shuts down please.

Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. I'll get back to you soon with the results.

Simon

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Simon

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard,

Sorry about the delay!!

chkdsk took almost 3 hours to complete!!

The same thing is happening. i tried to watch a recording of a soccer game online, and it powered down again.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Simon

If it took 3 hours, it means there was a lot of corruption to fix, so this in itself is good as it prevented data loss,

But, on a down note, it is not the issue with your computer

One last thing to confirm, when it powers down, there are no lights, no fans spinning inside, nothing at all right, just like if you removed the power cable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes thats right, like when you shut your PC down, or 'switch off'.

It is a new (1 month old ) Power supply, but te problem was there before i installed this.

What are you thinking now? A crack or short on the motherboard maybe?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It is either the motherboard or the power supply, and you just helped confirm it with this last statement.

The motherboard will be shorting out and with the the power supply will just shut down.

I strongly urge to not use the computer before replacing this, as you are risking other components from faulting when it powers off (as there can be a surge occurring depending on the issue with the motherboard).

It is this that is going to be the problem Simon and will need replacing.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry