Russell H.
Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

My HP laptop was working well this morning. But suddenly stopped

Customer Question

My HP laptop was working well this morning. But suddenly stopped and then on the screen it says "Boot Device not found, Please install an operating system on your hard disk' It then says 'Hard Disk 93FO). What does that mean?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Something went wrong with your hard disk. *If* your laptop ever boots up again, I urgently advise you to immediately back up all of your individual irreplaceable data on it to a separate device, e.g. a flash drive or thumb drive.

Then let's see about what's going on: Is the hard disk activity light On but flashing, On solidly, or Off ? note that the next time you see the hard disk error.

Can we get it working again? try turning Off your laptop for several hours. (This cools it all off thoroughly.) Then turn it On, see if it boots up this time - listen for any hard drive noises also.

After that, let me know what has happened, etc. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Russell, thank you. The drive light does not appear to be on i.e. not like the other lights. I will leave it off for over night and check again tomorrow evening (and will reply then).

OK. Good luck, and let me know. Remember to have a flash drive ready if it comes up, to back up your data as soon as possible before it (possibly) fails again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Russell, sorry was busy with work so not had time to check laptop. Will do tonight.
Let me know, at your convenience. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

H Russell, I have put the hp laptop on again. It will not boot and the hard drive light looks off.

That is unfortunate, by the sound of it... it may be that your hard disk has failed completely to initialize.

You will have to take it to a repair shop, or try to boot up the system on a LiveCD or a bootable CD of another kind, and see whether there are any responses from the hard disk at all. If there are none, it may be 'dead', I'm sorry to say.

If I can help you with this matter in any other way, let me know. (If the laptop was not dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock etc., and is less than one year from its date of purchase, it may be covered by HP's standard warranty terms, and if contacted, HP would in that case have to pay for either repair or replacement, I think.)
Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience: Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Russell, it is good to know one way or another. Just out of interest what do you mean by LiveCD or bootable CD - just so that I don't look a complete luddite when I ask.

A bootable CD (or as some call it LiveCD) is one that can be put in the CD or DVD drive and the computer can boot up off of it, so that the computer can be started even if the hard drive is completely incapacitated.
Windows PE
or
Linux
can both be booted up off of bootable CDs.

I hope that explains the matter sufficiently. Thank you for rating my Answer favorably, and good luck.