Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

after attaching a lead for a digital camera I can no longer

after attaching a lead for a digital camera I can no longer open windows I have tried resetting to factory settings without success
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

What exactly happens when you try to start windows?

And what is the make and model of the computer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hp. laptop altec lansing.

it tries to repair the problem without success and when I use the factory reset it will not bring up the required page to continue but keeps returning to the repair page

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

What happens when you start the computer and keep tapping F8?

Does it get you to the menu? Or just enters windows repair?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just brings up the repair page

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks John,

When you plugged in the cable, it has shorted out a component and it appears to have damaged either the hard drive, corrupted the data on the hard drive, or the Sata port on the mainboard.

To confirm this you will need a windows disk and attempt the installation via the disk, as the recovery partition has been damaged.

If this also fails, you know that either the hard drive or the sata port has been damaged. You would then need to take it into a store and have them run a hardware diagnostics on the computer to fins out which of the components has faulted, so it can be replaced.

Of course, if the computer is still under warranty, this problem will be covered, and the repair performed at no cost.

But, do you have a windows disk with you now? As we can attempt the reinstallation together.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

unfortunately I do not have the disc so I will not be able to attempt that

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, if it is still under warranty, then return it to the place of purchase John.

They can run a hardware diagnostics, and confirm which part has faulted and have this replaced.

they will also reload the recovery partition so that F11 works again.

If it is not under warranty, you can try to borrow a winndows disk and attempt the reinstall, else you will need to take it into a computer store to have the hardware diagnostics performed and the component replaced.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.