Russell H.
Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

My laptop is showing this message can you help Windows has

Customer Question

My laptop is showing this message can you help
Windows has encountered a problem communicating to your computer.
This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external hardrive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your compute.

My laptop is a toshia & it has windows 7. How would i check to see whether the external hardrive needs plugging back in?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Was the drive disconnected from the laptop while on by removing the USB cord from the socket?

Please shut the laptop down and once it is plug the external drive back in and start the machine and let me know if you still receive this message.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No it wasnt. The screen crashed, so i turned it off by holding down the power button & now the screen is just black when i try to use it. I tried what you said but no luck

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Let's see if we can revive the laptop. Please shut it down and unplug everything from it including the power cord. Remove the battery and hold down the power button for 60 seconds to discharge any built up static electricity. Replace the battery and then the power cord and turn the unit on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No the black screen is still showing. Its like a charcoal colour.

Im not sure if potentially over time something could of become loose where the laptop has been moved around?

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. When you turn the laptop on do you at least see the Toshiba logo at startup?

If not, is there any way you are able to connect the laptop to an external monitor to see if this is a screen issue?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes i see the toshiba message, after that it then goes to the black screen

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

Please try this to see if Windows advanced boot options can be invoked. Start the machine and as soon as you see the Toshiba logo begin steadily tapping the F8 key on the keyboard and let me know if a screen with several menu items appears.

-

You mention above the possibility of something possibly coming loose. Has the laptop been moved around a lot?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No the F8 option didnt work.

Yes i take it to work with me everyday. How would i go about checking if anything has been dislodged?

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

What is the model number of the laptop?

On the bottom of the laptop there should be covers that can be taken off to expose the memory chips and hard drive and the CD/DVD drive, if equipped, of the laptop.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Model Name: Satellite L670D-13F

Part No. PSK3JE-01Q00JEN

Im not sure if thats what you was after but there is no model number displayed on the bottom?

Yes there is a backwards L shape on the bottom which can be unscrewed

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. I'm going to open your question up to the other experts as I don't believe a loose component would cause these symptoms. You should at least be seeing something other than the Toshiba logo on the screen even if the laptop won't boot.

An error message of some type.

You'll receive an email notification when another expert responds.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is anyone planning on answering my question

Expert:  technicalcat replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using this service,

Let's try this. Do all of these steps with the battery removed, and the computer plugged in with the AC power adapter only.

Power on the computer, and immediately start tapping the F2 key just after you push the power button to turn on. This should bring you to the BIOS. If it does not, power off again, and then hold the F2 key down, and then power on the computer. Let me know the results of this. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thanks for your reply. The F2 button takes me to the setup page

OK, if you are getting to the setup page, but a black screen after startup, then the problem is very likely due to an issue with your hard drive OR your windows installation on that drive.

If possible, check the boot order / boot sequence in the BIOS. Unless you have a bootable CD/DVD, I would make sure it is set to boot from the hard drive first. Then, save and reboot.

If you still have the black screen , let me know if you have information on that drive that you don't want to lose, because we'll likely have to do a reformat of some sort. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The HDD is top of the list, but when i try to load it comes up with the dark grey screen, it isn't completely black (i dont know if that makes a difference). Yeah i have files i need to get from there. Most of them are saved onto my emails but i have a couple that i dont want to lose & i havent got saved

If you have files you need to save off the drive, it will be a fairly laborious process at this point, since your computer , for whatever reason is not booting from the hard drive.

You will need to either physically remove the hard drive, and attach to another computer, or try to use a bootable utility CD along with a USB hard drive or thumb drive, to obtain your data.

Did this Toshiba originally ship with Windows 7? An easy way to tell is to look on the bottom of the laptop. You should see a Windows 7 product key sticker.

Also, let me know if you think you are up for trying to get the data from the hard drive yourself. I can provide some basic instructions, but as I said it can be laborious if you aren't very technical, and you may have to purchase an adapter, etc. Thanks.