Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Hardware expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

I have a Toshiba laptop Portege Z930-146. This morning

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba laptop Portege Z930-146.
This morning I had the following message on the screen.
Intel (R) Boot Agent GE V1.3.81
COPYRIGHT (C) 1997-2011, Intel Corporation
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
Insert system disk in drive
Press any key when ready......
The previous evening I was trying to connect a Kodak Scanner but forgot it and went to bed.
I have tried to connect the Kodak Scranner again this morning but the message does not go away.
How can I avoid connecting the Kodak scanner and get my computer to work?
The Kodak scanner is connected by UBS.
Michael
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.

First we will want to see if a device is causing it though this is not usually the case.
To do that hold the power button until it turns completely off, then disconnect all cables and anything connected to any port.
Then with everything completely disconnected try turning it on and see if the same thing happens.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear *****dy

Many thanks for the prompt reply. As you expected your first suggestion did not work. I still get the same message and when I "press any key" I get a repeat of the message.

Michael

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That is a very bad sign unfortunatelt as PXE is the connected from the motherboard to the hard drive. How old is the computer?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I guess about 3 years

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Did you happen to get an extended warranty on it? Have you recently replaced anything inside of it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I need an answer to both questions please, I have no idea which you are answering.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No extended warranty

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok, Have you recently replaced anything inside of it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing has been replaced since I purchased it.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok restart it again and you should see F key options at the bottom one should say BIOS or CMOS press than key when you see that and let me know once you have.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

None of the F keys F1 to F12 refer to BIOS or CMOS. There is nothing on the screen referring to BIOS or CMOS.

There are no F key options either on the screen or the key board other than the F keys themselves. The F Keys themselves have various pictures on them eg a screen a hard disk etc.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
It would show on the screen quickly before you get the PXE error telling you which F opens it. Look at the screen as it starts up and tell me what it says for any F key options there.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No F key options show on the screen during start up.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
It would be there quick, give me any key options at all it shows during start up. All computers have this it is almost always assigned to an F key but there are some occasions it is not. Watch the screen and give me any key options at all it shows. They will disappear quickly.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It shows No key options on the screen any time during start up.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
All computers have it, your computer would not be able to start at all without it so I am going to need to opt out and open this to all experts.
.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

Seems clear to me you could have a couple different issues and all hard ware related.

The most obvious would be that your hard drive is failed. This is why whne you boot it does not find any system disk. I am assuming your computer doesn't have a floppy drive but if for some reason it does then remove any disks in teh drive or CDs and USBs for that matter.

If you receive the same message after removing any external drive or storage than you most likely have a failed hard drive. The other thing could be that the hard drive is not connected for some reason inside, that could also cause this.

Lastly it could be that you have a failed motherboard.

If you do not have at least an A+ certification in computer repair I do not advise you attempt to repair this on your own. You most likely wouldn't have the needed tools anyway if you do not have that certification.

Take it to a local repair shop for proper diagnosis and repair. Even if the hard drive died it still may be possible for them to recover your data for you so you do not lose everything.

If you have a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the faces below, positive ratings are appreciated and are what credit me for my time and experience.

Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris (and Freddy)

Thank you for your advise which I planned to adopt beforeapproaching you.

I will rate the service tomorrow.

Michael

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Michael,

Sure no rush, return anytime to rate or reply.

Best of luck.
-Chris