Chris R.
Chris R., Computer Tech
Experience:  BSBA CIS, A+ Certified
70521640

I have a Samsung Synmaster 940MG - An electricity mains power

Customer Question

I have a Samsung Synmaster 940MG - An electricity mains power surge appears to have stopped this from working and blown something inside. I am competent with electrics and electronics - is there anything I can look at to repair/correct this monitor ?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.

my name is***** and I would be happy to assist you today.

I am really not an electronics repairman just a computer tech. I do have some general knowledge though. Here are a couple things to check.

1) Are you getting any power at all to the monitor? If no open the monitor and look fuse. I am not sure about this model but a lot of TV's and monitors have a fuse that can be replaced. As far as I know you would just need to match the size and amps of the fuse.

2) If you get power via an LED but no picture from a source or the On Screen Display then it could be a burnt out inverter board.

3) If you can shine a light on the screen and you can make out a display then the the backlighting went dead.

4) If it is any other random problem it could either be something wrong with the main circuit board, or there are blown capacitors. You can tell if a capacitor is bad because it will have a top that is curved out. A good capacitor is pretty much completely flat.

I hope this is enouh information to start investigating. Is there anything else you need assistancve with? or does this answer your question?

As always be very careful working inside the monitor as there is always a chance of electrical shock. If you are not sure what you are doing it is best to bring it to get repaired or replaced.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks info - feel ok to take back off and look . The monitor appears completely dead - no LED, no shadowy image. If there is a fuse then it may be an easy solution. Will report back. Thanks help.

Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.
Sure thing and please remember to rate my service with the Smiley Face icon and hit the submit button. This ensures that we are compensated time helping customers.

If you need any other assistance please let me know!

Take care.
Chris R
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

still looking at monitor - back now off - no fuses to check - mains power appears on back of euro socket ok - nothing looks blackened or blown - - power supply circuit appears v simple - one big capacitor looks ok & has 336 V dc across its ends so that part of circuit appears perhaps to work. led on front does not light up if after depressing on mini switch on front - any further suggestions - will complete your smiley face when I can go no further - please reply

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

PS i replaced the power supply on the computer which was connected to this monitor at the time - pc now works - whole lot belongs to my step son - it appears that pc and monitor both sufferef a similar power surge at the same time

Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I am just getting your messages. So the computer didn't turn on either? I thought you were dealing with just a dead monitor. It does sound like you had some pretty bad power surge. At least it was just the power supply and not the motherboard and other components. Definitly throw a good surge protector onto the outlet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have ordered a Belkin power surge protector step son to whom all of this now belongs. Also with the aid of a TV technician from your company I have identified a source of power board replacement tv which I have now ordered. Unfortunately had to pay another fee. Hope this is the fix. With thanks help.

Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.
I can tell you that the motherboard should be pretty easy to switch out. I don't do these kind of repairs but we had purchased a Samsung TV a while back that came completely dead. A tech came out and replaced the motherboard and I watched him do it. So you should be just fine doing that on your own. We guarantee that you are happy with your service so if you questions about this monitor/TV feel free to respond to either me or one of the TV repair techs in the other categories.