Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I'm not sure if my question applies to computer hardware

Customer Question

Hello, I'm not sure if my question applies to computer hardware but it concerns a router which I assume is a piece of hardware. It's also a very silly question so I apologise in advance.
I am aware that routers in general have the ability to log in going and out going traffic and I live with my parents/use their wifi. I also do a lot of online gambling (with my own money) which wouldn't sit well with my parents at all. My concern is not the event logs as I believe a router cannot store browsing history forever but being as anxious and paranoid as I am, I'm worried that the router is able to send a list of all websites visited since the router first came into use to the computer it was set up on?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Before I will give you detailed answer to this, pease tell me:

Are you using your OWN computer to access th internet and do all your stuffs? Or are you on a shared computer with your parents?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your swift reply.

I'm using my own computer/smartphone and just their wifi internet.

Thanks,

Liam

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Liam,

Thank you for writing back with that information.To answer your question, NO, your home router will not send out lists of websites that you have been visiting since it was first deployed in your parent's house. I believe you are safe with that.

Yes, most routers record logs of network activities but these are limited to spy on you. Most home routers, specially those provided by the internet service provider (ISP), don't even have logging capability. And when a router stores log, it is limited to some time frame since routers do not have such huge memory or storage to hold the recordings or logs for a long time. It is purged at a regular basis.

Another thing is, when a router is logging network activities, it records IP addresses and not teh human readable URL like http://google.com. Instead, it shows there as an IP address like 58.71.95.92 so non-technical people can't find or trace information from those logs.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jess,

I'm absolutely elated with the thorough service you've provided and will certainly rate your advice as 'excellent service'.

Thank you very much, I would definitely recommend you to anyone with problems in your line of expertise as you were thorough and swift at replying.

Thanks,

Liam T

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
HI Liam,

Thank you for the excellent service rating! I am glad to be of help.

Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.

Best regards,
Jess