Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I Have a new Pavilion 550 - 82na. I Cannot get it to boot

I Have a new Pavilion 550 - 82na.
I Cannot get it to boot from cd.
I have tried disabling secure boot and enabling legacy, to no avail.
Surely manufactures could simplify this.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Disabling secure boot and enabling legacy should get this to work.
From what type of disk are you trying to boot from? eg: Windows install?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am trying to boot a backup program. This has always worked before.

I also tried several other cds just to try including an earlier copy of windows. None worked.

I am Using Win 10 home

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Tap away at the esc key as you power on to access the Start-up Menu and then select the Boot Manager option ( f9 ).
Is the drive then listed to select and when you do select it, does it then boot from the disk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The drive is not listed, several others under UEFI, which make no sense to and none under legacy devices.

Will it be ok to permanently enable legacy devices?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes thats ok especially if it is a home computer.
But when enabled you still do not see it Dave correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I confirm that legacy is enabled and secure boot disabled.

I still cannot see the cd drive. I also confirm that the cd drive is first on the boot list.

I am rapidly going off HP! Why do they make a simple task so complex?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its never such an issue so something has gone wrong in the Bios or with the disk drive.
Did this just start after installing windows 10?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I Never tried it on this computer because when I purchased I upgraded

to Win 10 immediately.

I am tempted to revert to Win 8.1 just to find out!

I can try a different drive as well

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, first drive a different Drive to rule out a major issue on the motherboard.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard

Finally sorted.

The problem was that the bios had not accepted a change to disable secure boot and to enable legacy. Therefore every time I went back into the bios it had not changed.

After which must be 10 times of trying I eventually got a screen with a code to enter to allow the changes. All is ok now.

I am definitely certain I selected the option to save changes and exit BIOS. Though I suppose I cannot have on the evidence.

Many thanks for your advice.

I still think that manufactures make things unnecessarily complex!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
They do this to protect the system Dave, usually in corporate environments which is why for home use and can come over as more complex.
The save option though is important to stop mistakes made when changing settings in the bios as this can cause the computer to stop functioning.
Good we got it sorted and If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry