Russell H.
Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I tried to reset my HP notebook after problems with mail and

Customer Question

I tried to reset my HP notebook after problems with mail and outlook in Windows 10. I now have the "blue screen of death" (inaccessible boot drive - error message) and no recovery disc/USB.
How do I make it work again, please?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. What is the exact and entire error including any numbers (they may start with 0x)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There are no error numbers, just a blue screen with frowny face, and the words: "your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some info, and then we'll restart for you"
"If you'd like to know more you can search online later for this error: INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
How long has it been on that? Inaccessible boot device means that either windows can not be found or that the hard drive can not be found which could indicate it failing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

since last night, when I reset my laptop as mail, calendar and Outlook were no longer working correctly. Up till then, windows 10 had worked perfectly.
I've tried creating a recovery USB on my partners laptop to recover windows 10, that didn't work, I've tried F11 and practically every option there - none of which work. I;ve tried booting into safe mode, but cant - this laptop is only a couple of months old - and from trawling various websites on my partners laptop - this "blue screen of death" is a well known problem.

Unfortunately, I'm not enough of an expert to head into the BIOS settings (which is probably a good thing)! Although some fixes I've come across do mention "switching to IDE or RAID from ACHI - none of which makes any sense to me!!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
This error is a well known problem because it will also come up if a hard drive dies. So it exists in every version of windows. If the machine is only a couple months old you do not need to switch the IDE setting in the BIOS as you would have a SATA drive rather than IDE. How did you reset your laptop? If that got stuck for example it could cause this as it would corrupt windows.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I went for one of the two reset options on the laptop that was the easiest, because i wanted to keep it.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
What reset option was that? And unfortunately as of right now we may have to reinstall windows 10 completely which will erase everything on it. If that does not work or does the same thing the hard drive would need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm OK with reinstalling because I don't keep files/photos/documents on the hard drive - I've always saved them to a USB, then copy them onto an external hard drive

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
OK in that case you said you made a recovery usb already, is that of windows 10? If it is what happened when you tried to boot from it? If not can you make a windows 10 one using this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was a windows*****- but not an installation. Am attempting suggested download now

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me know once you have. If you have more than 4GB of ram make sure to use the 64 bit version.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK Freddy - it's done - downloaded to USB stick!
What next....?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok now we will want to boot from it, go into the BIOS and look for something that says boot order or priority. Let me know once you have found that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Morning Freddy!
I'm now at a screen that reads
Boot option menu
1. OS boot manager
2. Boot from EFI file

press F10 to BIOS Setup Options, ESC to exit

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Press F10 and look for the boot order/priority.
Change it so that the USB drive is first instead of the HDD or hard drive.
Then use the F key that says save and exit.
Let me know the results when you can.