Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have an HP Touchsmart 670 running Windows 7 sp1. Would

Customer Question

Hi. I have an HP Touchsmart 670 running Windows 7 sp1. Would you recommed putting Windows 10 on it, if not, why? Thanks.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Yes I would. It is a very stable operating system and it actually provides for most computers a performance increase.
But the main reason is you will eventually need to do this so your best to do it now while its free.
Plus, any issues (rare but can happen) then you can go back to windows 7 very easily and no data or programs are lost.
It has been quite a stable release and I would recommend you upgrade to it.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good advice Richard, but I can't get passed the circle of dots!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you give a little more information Nick.
On which step are you referring to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Very first step Richard, 10 second review of your system.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, restart the computer and try again.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Same situation Richard, circle of dots

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, it is not ready for it Nick, they are doing it in batches.
Give it a week, then attempt to do the upgrade again and let me know if you still have problems as we would then need to do a reinstallation of windows.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I understood what you said, but the box on the screen stated that both the reservation and download is complete, upgrade available, but I will wait as you said.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
So it did go past the download? As you said you were stuck on the first step.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Must have done, and the system was checked my Microsoft before that!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then it can point to corruption.
Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then try to upgrade.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. Done that. C:\Windows\system32>

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Done what sorry Nick?
I gave a whole list of instructions that would take a lot longer then a few minutes to complete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doing the same Richard. I may come off this computer now, and later, contact someone like pccallout. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard, went in the next day, now running Windows 10. Yes I did follow your instructions the day you gave them to me, but at that time changed nothing on start up. Richard, i believe HP were well ahead of what Microsoft were able to do regarding Touch Screen, as Windows 10 closely resembles what i was able to in Touch Mode since 2011.Many thanks though, enjoy your day.