Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Trying to download windows 10 keep getting error code

Customer Question

trying to download windows 10 keep getting error code 80240031
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Which version of windows are you currently running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank youCan you as the first step please do the following1. Press the Windows button + X on your keyboard, a mini dialogue box will appear2. Choose Command Prompt (Admin). You must run the command prompt in Administrator level3. On the command prompt type sfc /scannow and hit enter4. On the same command prompt window when it has finished type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth7. After the repair is complete, restart your computer and try updating now.I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
unable to find command prom (admin)
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you need to press the windows button on the keyboard + X and you see the menu you can select it from
Then you can select it
If you have windows 8 this will work for you
Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cannot find ,would it be better if you took control of the computer?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I can then do it for youCan you accept the offer and I can now do this please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
accept
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you need to actually click on the popup and accept it please
Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, waiting for your replyCan you go to www.teamviewer.com Click on Download for Free Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
getting this page cannot be displayfd
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you try this link below
CLICK ME TO OPEN
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Did that work for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I d 774 82 839 password *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry 774 892 839
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
windows 10 is downloading but is very slow
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes it takes time as it is large.
I may not be online when its finished, but let me know how it goes and I will reply first thing tomorrow if not tonight.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
o k sorry about the mix up between 7 and 8 I am an o.a.p. and not to clever with tech.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thats ok we got there in the end :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
o k speak again tomorrow
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard still did not download
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
same error code?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I believe so but it was four in the morning when I checked
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, whats the make and model of the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
acer laptop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
aspire 5742z
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, we are going to need to do a reinstall of windows, its the method to get the upgrade working as the repairs have failed.
Can you copy all your data off the Acer (programs you will have to install again)
Then power off the Acer
Hold ALT and with it held down, power on the Acer and keep tapping F11 until you get to the recovery manager
Choose to do a factory restore. Let this complete and when it has then go straight to doing the windows 10 upgrade and it should then function.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried this twice and get a high pitched signal, then it goes into start up
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, try with F10 instead of F11
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this time I got edit boot
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, it is then F11, and its pointing to a problem on the hard disk
First, is your data backed up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a flash drive to do it with
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok... that was part of my instructions before we do this, and especially before trying to update to windows 10 you should have a backup
You have data you need to keep on the computer correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
music
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you need to back this up to a flash drive, even without needed to reinstall you should do this before updating to windows 10
Can you do this and let me know when you have please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
o k I,ll get back to you after I obtain a flash drive if that's o k .
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have now backed my music to a flash drive ,after witch I followed your instructions but still got an alarm and went to the start up.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, start the computer normally and look for in the programs Acer Recovery
Do you see this there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you can also run the Factory Reset here, so run this please and perform the Factory Reset.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
o k
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Richard I,ve found you again at last ,after factory reset my laptop is so slow its driving me mad,also I now get a message my version of windows 7 is not compatible with windows 10
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you go to Start, Control Panel, then install all Windows updates as it will be missing needed updates.
Then try to upgrade to windows 10
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok richard have installed 195 updates and i have reserved windows 10. is ther any way to speed up my laptop ?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You can attempt to do the following to see if this can speed it up
Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then check if the speed has increased as this being a new install of windows it should be running like a new computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok Richard i.m up to date thank you for your patience and advice,just one more thing before we finish can you suggest a book or dvd on computer maintanance
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your most welcome
On the book or DVD, Not really sorry as I have never needed one.
Be careful too as a lot of maintanance programs are actually viruses.
It is always best to ask someone who knows computers as things are always changing so you want the most current information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok well once again thank you so much for every thing and without being rude i hope i wont be needing you again goodbye
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
hahaha, not rude at all, completely understand.
No rudeness back, but I hope to again speak to you in the future :)
Richard (Richie)