Sean Feehan
Sean Feehan, Computer Repairer
Experience:  11 years of repair, 3+ in a professional setting
69400341

I upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10. HP support assistant

Customer Question

I upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10. HP support assistant won't work, uninstall or reinstall using the latest version of HPSA. I have been through all troubleshooting.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Sean Feehan replied 2 years ago.
Hellol, my name is ***** ***** hope to help... What are you using this program for? Typically this is one of the first programs I uninstall from a client because of it being a bit of a nuisance.
Putting that in to perspective for me may help come up with a solution or alternative for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not sure what you mean, I don't think I can add any thing more. Can you be more specific?

Well the HP Support Assistant, what do you use it for?? Really, we could uninstall that and your computer will still work just fine.
It's what is called "Bloatware" useless programs manufacturers install to throw their brand at you when typically, any functions it may serve, Windows already does for you.
Would you like some assistance in removing it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes please.

On the bottom where it says Search the Web and Windows type PRograms
Then the third should be Programs and Features and in smaller print control panel
Look for HP Support Assistant in that list of installed programs and right click it and hit Uninstall
Please let me know if that worked or if you need more help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Sean,

I tried that but it didn't work. I got the message "the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable". Also I downloaded the latest version of HP support assistant (sp71727) from hp.com. That didn't work either and I got the same message.

I would like some more help please.

***** *****.

Let's go ahead and on the bottom and where it says Search the Web and Windows and type "Programs" look for Programs and Features and in smaller print "Control Panel" look for HP Support Assistant in that list of programs and click it and see "Uninstall near the top (or right click and hit uninstall) this should solve any issues you're experiencing.
If that's already been done... go to ninite.com and look for Revo Uninstaller in the list of all the available software, download that and open it and let me know when that's done, we're going to "brute force" remove that program and any trace elements.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've downloaded revo installer but haven't run it. Couldn't find revo uninstaller.

Peter.

Sorry confused by your last message please check this attached picture to see if this is in fact the program you downloaded, or if you haven't yet, to download it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've downloaded teracopy as in your picture. Is this correct?

Peter

No sir, it was to be Revo that was checked with the blue x, TeraCopy was highlgihted because my mouse was over it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I did download Revo, but the file says revoinstaller.exe

Peter

Yes that is good, can you open that and see if it loads a list of programs with the HP Assistant in that list?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it is! But which mode should I select?

Peter

Do the deep scan, should be bottom most option. Delete and remove everything it finds, make sure everything that it finds is checked and to remove it. Should be pretty easy.
this purges all trace files, and registry entries.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it looks as though its gone! I'll now install the latest version of hp support assistant and let you know.

Peter.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I used the moderate mode in revo and it didn't remove every thing. I repeated with the advanced mode. That was successful and I was able to install the latest version of HP support assistant and everything is working fine.

Many thanks Sean.

Peter.

Glad to be of continued service.