Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  A+ MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

Customer Question

Hello, my name is ***** ***** HP computer that i'm using, will not run windows updates, properly, or at all. This computer is running windows 8.1. Can you help?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
What happens when you try to run windows update?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the green bar just runs from left to right without doing anything else. it never gets to the end of update

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
That green bar should be it searching for updates not installing them, does it sy searching or downloading?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it doesn't download the updates, or do i have to do something else?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Please look at the green bar in the windows update window, what does it say it is doing? It will usually be above the green bar.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i don,t think there is anything above the green bar

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Please try updating now and check for me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it says above the bar "detecting problems", then it says :

- try trouble shooting admin

- explore additional options.

i went to the additional problems and it put me on to a web site called Best2Serve, but the phone numbers on this site are dead.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok all of that sounds like a malware infection.
Download and install the free versuion of malwarebytes here (you only need the free one so click download not buy):

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Once installed run a full system scan and remove/quarntine anything it finds.
Then restart your computer and try to update again, you can get back to me by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions at the top of the page.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the software isn.t free

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
It seems you ignored part of what I sent you, ignore the buy button click on the download button to the right. There is a free and a paid version, but the free version is not advertised. I mentioned in my answer to click download and not buy.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i ve tried downloading the malware software but the screen just sits there

it did say briefly "checking your software update for errors" but then just sits there again with the Download button still on the screen.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
That is not good, that should not happen and sounds like your malware infection is blocking you from downloading it. If that is the case you would need to download it using a different computer and then moving it over with a flash drive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Non, but i do only want the free 7 day trial, i;m on benefits and could do without another direct debit.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When does the 7 day trial end?

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.Please click this link and run the FixIt tool for your version of Windows and see if it can't correct the issues you are having with Windows Update.If this doesn't work right away, on the Windows Update page click Change Settings.Use the drop-down arrow to change the behaviour to: "Download but let me choose whether to install them"Check the next day to see if any updates have downloaded and then try to install them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again, i've lost the reply that caraleneK sent . Please send it again to [email protected]

regards,

mike beckett.