Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Printer stopped working

Customer Question

Printer stopped working
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please the make and model of the printer and the error you get?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dell 2665dnf Multi Function Printer. Suddenly stopped printing and scanning. Error messages say cannot detect printer network, didn't know I had a network. Domestic single Dell PC and Printer, running Windows 8.1. I have tried removing device and re-installing from driver stored on my PC. David
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once I re-installed the test page printed OK, but no documents will print from PC.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks David,
Is the printer connected to your computer via the wireless network? Or via a USB Cable?
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Printer is connected via USB cable. I have used JustAnswer before I was hoping to receive remote access.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Amazing. I have changed USB port on the back of my All-in-One and it now prints. What's going on here I wonder, a dodgy USB port?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, windows sometimes gets corruption on a port and then stops communications with that one device as it thinks its already connected.
Thats why I had you change the port (then edited it for the connection)
Its something that happens in windows and any USB device that has a problem, always start with this then try changing the cable.
Usually switching the port is enough.
The port is ok though, its just windows
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the explanation and advice. I am not out of the woods yet, just tried to scan a page and its does not work, just times out. Any ideas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The photocopy function from the same auto feed tray does work.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
how did you scan it?
Via which program and which error did you get?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Normally I insert the document into the printer feeder tray them select scan to PC from the control panel menu, click scan. Same method if laying document on the flatbed screen underneath feeder. I just managed to scan from the Windows Control Panel/Hardware/Devices screen by selecting scan a document from the installed Dell Printer, it made a TIF and I usually get a PDF. I am not sure what programme the Dell scanner uses
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, best to reinstall the program they use which you can get here
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=4FDDH
Download and install it then run it and scan within this.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The download says I have to restart which means I will lose my connection to you?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, but I will be here when you return so just return back here please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still doesn't work, I believe I have installed the scan driver, the download said so.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, this may be a fault with the cable, would cause also the initial issue you had.
Can you change the cable and tell me if you still have the issue please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Searched, I don't have one. The printer end is a square style plug not the usual flat USB.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, its one like this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Printer-Cable-4-5m-lead/dp/B000I2HBE8
Are you able to borrow one just to test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found one, swapped out and still doesn't run. Do I need to restart again?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes please, to be sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still doesn't work. I have run out of time to tackle this today. Suggest I reconnect tomorrow and have another try. David
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I will be here David and till then.