Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Networking, hardware, software, various OS's, Email Web and domain hosting, DNS
63493917

Can you please tell me: how do I record a podcast interview

Customer Question

Can you please tell me: how do I record a podcast interview with someone on my PC without holding a dictaphone to the speakers? I want the audio to not be tinny.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com So, capturing the audio BEFORE it goes to the speakers would be the best bet. Like a LINE OUT type of capture.Are you famalier with this?
Use software called STEREO MIX.Stereo Mix is sometimes called “What U Hear.” It’s a special recording option that may be provided by your sound drivers. If it is, you can select it (instead of a microphone or audio line-in input) and force any application to record the same sound that your computer is outputting from its speakers or headphones.On modern versions of Windows, Stereo Mix is generally disabled by default — even if your sound drivers support it.Click here to ENABLE Stereo Mix
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

does stereo mix come with most PCs?

I believe this started with Windows7.So yeah, it comes with most PC's that have Windows7 or higher.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So I would open up the software and it would record all sound coming through my speakers?

Precisely!But have you visited the link i shared with you (above)? It shows details.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Awesome thank you I'm on my phone so I'll do that on my PC at ASAP. But what do I do about recording my interview questions? Also what happens if our conversation crosses over? Will it only capture him talking?

It captures EVERYTHING that comes out of the speakers. Not what goes INTO the computer.
And you are very welcome.Please take a moment and rate my performance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The problem that I need to record a two way conversation. How do I do that?

Alrighty, i understand..You will want to use a software tool, and the best ive used is called Total Recorder.http://www.totalrecorder.com/recording_Internet-telephony_conversations.htm
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.
Did Total Recorder work for you, or did you want some other suggestions?.Another suggestion would be Audacity, which I FREE and OPEN SOURCE.Nothing BEATS free! Especially when it works, and has a professional look and feel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'll give audacity a go. However I have one additional question: how can I guarantee that my voice and my interviewee's voice is perfectly recorded?Would it be wise of me to buy a podcast microphone and plug the USB lead in?Also if I do need to buy a microphone how do I ensure that the interviewee isn't echoey? Do I need to insist he buys a microphone at his end, or is there another way of perfecting the sound at his end?Thanks so much for your help.
The better the equipment that is CAPTURING the audio, THE BETTER..So, yeah, if you can upgrade to a better Microphone, then DO SO! I suggest spending about $200 for a decent microphone. Just saying, that the cheepo $50 might look nice, and perform OKAY.....a professional microphone is just WORLDS apart..Cheers ***** ***** a moment to rate my performance.