Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a problem with a second hand computer. When I

Hi, I have a problem with a second hand computer. When I power up, the case and GPU fans spin, the CPU fan spins a little then stops, I get no display at all on any channel on any graphics card, be it VGA / HDMI / DVI, or either graphics card slot. I can't
access the setup menu to install an OS. Do you have any advice for me? Is there anything I've missed? I'd really appreciate some help with this problem. I've scoured forums looking for answers but found little. Details: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P motherboard, AMD
6-core CPU, 2x4gb budget DDR3, 500W PSU (works in other machines) and a variety of graphics cards. It was working for my friend, who I bought it from, the only thing I've changed is the hard drive, replaced with a new blank one. I don't think it's a BIOS version
issue, the CPU is compatible, I've tried both sticks of RAM in each of the four slots. Unfortunately the motherboard doesn't have a speaker, nor does the case. It says UEFI DualBIOS on the board, I had problems installing dual-boot ubuntu/win7 on my laptop
which has UEFI, perhaps this is part of the problem.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
First, can you make sure everything is plugged in tightly, so remove the power and unplug the CPU and plug it back in making sure it is tightly sealed, as well as its FAN.
Make sure the two Ram modules are in bay 1 and 2 and the remove the power plugs to the boards and plug them back in to make sure they are tightly plugged in.
Do the same with the hard drives Sata and power cables and then try to turn it on.
Tell me what then happens please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I tried with the RAM in slots 1 and 2 on VGA, with the same effect, then I tried in slots 3 and 4 with ATI GPU and DVI, it works, I can now access the setup menu.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will now make a USB install disk and try to install.I have tried so many times, in so many ways, now it works. I love PCs. Thank you
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, check in the setup menu as VGA may be disabled, else use it via DVI and it should now function.
Looks like something was loose and going through all items and reconnecting them got the connection working correctly.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.