Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

HiI have a portable hard drive which has been working

HiI have a portable hard drive which has been working fine, but for some reason, I am no longer able to access the files stored on the drive, is there anyway of retrieving the information I have stored on it?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
hi there and welcomeAre you on a windows computer or Mac? And what exactly happens when you try to access it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on a windows computer - running windows 10
When I plug in the drive, it shows as local drive but it does not come up with the documents that are stored on the drive - it just states its not responding
sorry I am not very technical, so hope this makes sense
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thats ok and yes it does make sense.Plug it into a different USB port on your computer and then try to access it.Can you then access it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already tried this on pc and laptop..with no success
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
When you connect the drive, which drive letter is it assigned?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Local disk G
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ThanksCan you press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (admin)A black window will showType inchkdsk g: /rPress enterLet it complete the repair as it will try to repair the disk and tell me when its completed, if the data is now accessible please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that a space between the k and g or typed without any spaces
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
a space
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It isn't doing anything
States that it is not responding
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the problem It is the hard drive that has faulted. It will be the plates that have crashed with the hard drive head I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the hard drive to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you