Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Got HP Photosmart printer about 2 yrs old that won't print

Customer Question

Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcome? MikeCan you tell me please exactly what happens when you try to print? Whats the exact error you get?Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No printing occurs - The printing box shows 'ready' whereas on previous printing problems it displayed 'offline'
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
how is the printer connected to the computer, via wireless or a USB cable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wi fi
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket). Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly. Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no change
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me the make and model of your wifi router please Mike?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TG582n Plusnet
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanksremove the power to the plusnet and to your printer.Wait 5 minutes, then power on the plusnet, wait 5 minutes, power on the printer, restart your computer and tell me please if you can now print.Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no printing; but did not restart computer since never requested to switch it off
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, but I asked you to restart the computer as part of the procedure.... is there a reason you will not do the procedure as I am requesting Mike?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do not understand how I can restart something if it has not been switched off
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you do not know how to restart your computer? Is this what you are saying?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you wish me switch off my computer now, and restart it?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I will repeat the instructions I want you to do Mike, as I need you please to do them exactly as I am asking. Not being difficult but we cannot do half the steps, we need to do them all exactly as I listed. remove the power to the plusnet and to your printer.Wait 5 minutes, then power on the plusnet, wait 5 minutes, power on the printer, restart your computer and tell me please if you can now print.Let me know the results please.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HP Photosmart 6520, product no CX017B, serial no CN2BR350QM
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Mike,Did you do the last instructions I gave?remove the power to the plusnet and to your printer.Wait 5 minutes, then power on the plusnet, wait 5 minutes, power on the printer, restart your computer and tell me please if you can now print.Let me know the results please.