Russell H.
Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

Why is it taking so long to reset my pc i have had it on

Customer Question

why is it taking so long to reset my pc i have had it on over 36 hours and it is only at 10%. Any ideas?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. There might be problems with the hard disk. If the hard disk turns out to be damaged (e.g. by shock, being moved roughly, or being dropped) then that would explain it. Tell me more about your PC, how old it is, and the history that led up to its being 'reset' (and please let me know what reset method you are using, please.) Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi it is a toshiba satellite C50-A-146 about 2-3 years old & being reset because it had become very very slow for it to do anything eg log on etc i used shift & restart to reset it. I had been talking to Kamil Anwar about it previously on 25/3 on this site
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
If you held down Shift and then restarted it that way, then something is quite seriously wrong. Restarts should never take so long. Is Disk Scan running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is that all i have is a black screen with " TOSHIBA Leading Innovation" written on it & at the bottom in the middle " resetting your pc 2% with the dotted circle going round & round
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please respond
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Still here, thanks.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info. Are you sure that you did not hold down the 0 key (zero key) while powering on the Toshiba? that is the usual way to get the screen you describe.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I didn't what is the problem I am desperate to get it fixed been going on too long now
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Then it has somehow switched into doing the wrong thing, when it should have booted up into Safe Mode.I suspect it's too late, and either the OS and/or your data has been erased... perhaps from the malware/viruses that were slowing down the operation so much.But be brave, and just power it Off. E.g. by holding down the power button until it shuts Off suddenly.Then wait 20+ minutes (to let the hard disk cool down) before turning it On again, and see what happens. Note: don't use anything but F8 or the key that goes into the BIOS Setup, again, to go into Safe Mode or otherwise.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
If what I suggested does not help, then you basically have a badly messed-up hard disk, or similar problem. A repair shop might be able to help, but consider how old it is, how fond you are of the system, how much you need to get data off the hard drive (for a really slapdash repair shop will *not* try to recover any data but will simply try erasing everything... and be sure to ask for an estimate on the repair costs. Please rate my answer. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.