Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Just bought an HP Laptop Windows 10 but everytime I turn on

Just bought an HP Laptop Windows 10 but everytime I turn on I get a blank screen. The only way I can get to my desktop is by pressing control, alt and delete. Then it allows me to sign in and get to my desktop.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Hi there and welcomeCan you please remove the battery and power cable and then hold the power button in for 60 seconds then release.Then connect the battery and power cable and tell me if it now starts correctly please.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have already done this and it does not work
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Which mode Laptop is it?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
just checking. I will not phone as I have just paid £29.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
No need to phone
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
its an HP notebook Serial no CDD6051PRS
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, thats the serial, can I have the Model please?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
are you able to get this?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Model number is ***** Hope this is correct as type very small
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ThanksPower it off.Then power it on and keep tapping F10 until you get to the recovery managerAre you able to get to this?'
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yea thanks. Will now try.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, now follow the steps to do a Factory Restore.Let this complete and tell me how it then operates please.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's not doing anything. However when I turned it back on the desktop showed without logging in.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
So I'm at my desktop
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, it was not powered off.Power it off completly then do the instructions please
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do I have to wait until it's on completely before pressing F10 a few times
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
no, as soon as you start it
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thank
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
let me know the results please
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've now got Security system configuration
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
what options do you have?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
F1 help f5/6 Change Values f9 setup defaults. Up and down keys for select item or select menu. Enter select submenu
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Power off the computer.Power it on and get it to the desktop.Tell me when your there please.
Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes I think it will be easier
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Richard my computer now says "The following configuration change was requested for this computer's Trusted Platform Module (TPM):Warning: Clearing the TPM erases information stored on the TPM. You will lose all created keys and access to data encrypted by these keys. Do I accept?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
yes please
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok ta
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
your welcome
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Hi there and welcomeDid it just start doing this to you?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes it is now re installing Windows.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Fingers crossed when finished. Thank you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's been on 59% for the last 30 minutes or more is that normal?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No worries continuing now.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
yes it will be ok unless it gives an error
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is still going. Is this last process a long one? Has turned on and off many times but still running.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
It has taken quite some time Christine, longer then expected... but we need to let it continue, best to leave it overnight if needed
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok that's fine. Thanks.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Morning Richard. Computer still installing. Keeps going to 64% up to 67% then switches off and on. This happens a few times. Then goes to 93% up to either 94 or 97%. Then back to 64% up to 67. Been doing this all night!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Still the same. I have to go out now. It looks like I may have to take the laptop back to PC World. It should have done it by my? I have left it. Will be about 1 1/2 hours.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
There is a hardware fault with it Christine, this confirms it. You will need to return it sorry, but they will replace it for you under warranty.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for all your help. Nearly put a kiss on the end. That would have been embarrassing!