Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

There. I am currently borrowing my boyfriend's laptop

Hello there. I am currently borrowing my boyfriend's laptop as my desktop pc is now hopelessly out of date (Windows XP) and not working properly anymore.
I want to buy a new computer and although I have done some research myself, I am not sure what kind of computer is best for my needs.
I need it to sell stuff on eBay, to write documents in Word and spreadsheets in Excel, to watch movies online and stuff on the various iplayers. I don't do gaming at all. It would be nice though to be able to use Skype to speak with my overseas friends occasionally.
As I am an M.E. patient I am at home all day and because my status has changed from very severe to moderate - severe, I am hoping to start working as a corrector of spelling and grammar in students' essays and the like online. So I may need to start my own website to attract customers and for the work to be submitted to and fro. I shall use a professional web designer if it ever gets to that stage. Alternatively, I am looking at working - again online - as a subtitler for the deaf and hard of hearing, which would mean that the computer would need to be powerful enough to receive video on which then needs to be processed (adding subtitles) with the software provided by the employer. Ofcourse I then need to send the processed footage back.
I have looked at microcomputers, because don't think I would need the massive box under my desk anymore that I previously used. I already have a good monitor, so I don't really need a laptop. Ofcourse there is also the matter of cost. I am on ESA with DLA and money is tight.
Can you give me some good advice?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Hi! Almost all new computers will fit your needs for the computer usage. Do you have a budget that you would like to stay under so that I can give you a couple of options?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No more than £400, preferably below £300. Thank you.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information. I have found a computer that is within your price range that would do everything that you need it to do. It is an all-in-one desktop computer which means there will not be a bulky tower either. Take a look here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Desktop-Celeron-Graphics-Windows/dp/B019WBDWLQ/ref=sr_1_3?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1460563161&sr=1-3
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. That looks good. However, I already have a good monitor. Is there something without a monitor that would meet my needs? After all, not having to pay for a monitor means I can put more money to the pc itself.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
If you would like to put a little more money into the tower itself, you can purchase this tower: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-H30-Desktop-Black-Integrated/dp/B015Q3BJY6/ref=sr_1_3?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1460564064&sr=1-3
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just had a look at it. Looks good. But what does Operating System 'none' mean? Will it come with Windows Office in place or do you need to buy that separately?
Thank you very much so far for your help.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for seeing that. That was my mistake because the ad itself states Windows 10 but I see the option that you are talking about. I see a couple of desktops that are around £429.99 with an operating system installed such as this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0185P3W9C/ref=psdc_428651031_t2_B011R62HG0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that. When I looks at the 'Compare to Similar Items' column this pc scores 3*, whereas the Zoostorm Home Media Desktop PC (Intel Core i5-4460 3.20 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Windows 10) right next to it scores 4.5*. What is your opinion? I have heard of Dell, but not of Zoostorm. Also, I am not a brand snob. I just want a good pc and don't care what it is called.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Zoostorm makes good products. Amazon reviews are usually on point for how good or bad a product is and 4.5 out of 5 stars is a good review.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thank you very much for your help. It is hard when you only buy a new pc every 10 years or so to find your way in a sea of possibilities. Things have come on a bit since I bought my first pc in 1998 when I studied Biology at uni. That was a Compaq and it had the fabulous speed option of 20MHz, which was considered revolutionarily fast amongst my peers! But then there were only five or so pcs to choose from, now it's more like 5000!
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome! I completely understand-- Computers change several times a year! If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as EXCELLENT, GOOD, or OK and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. I am really happy with your service and will reflect that in my rating. Thanks again for all your help. Bye.