Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

I am current looking a Cisco UCS Servers, and cannot work

Customer Question

I am current looking a Cisco UCS Servers, and cannot work out the difference between product number N20-B6625-1 and N20-B6625-1-UPG? Both appear to be UCS B200 M2 Blade Server w/o CPU, memory, HDD, mezzanine, but dont understand what the UPG means.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. The UPG suffix is part of the ordering information. It refers to a Pri***** *****cense Upgrade. If you are satisfied with my advice, I would appreciate a Good or Excellent rating. If you have questions or are having problems, please let me know, so that I can provide you with the additional support that you need. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be of service. I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY TIME AND EFFORT WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Joel. Can you give me a little more explanation, as I am struggling to understand how this related to the hardware. Licesning I would normally associate with software.

That is a very good question. I have not studied the Cisco Blade Server products in detail, but you are correct that licensing is associated with software and not normally with hardware. It may be that the Pri***** *****cense Upgrade refers to firmware burned into read-only memory (ROM) as part of the hardware operating system. In computer architecture this is called the basic input/output operating system (BIOS).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you provide any links or reference on the web, which mentions this is linked to Pri***** *****cense Upgrade?

It makes sense that there would be a firmware license, since all or most of the operating system is in firmware with blade architecture. I am attempting to get information from an online Cisco sales representative, but you might have more luck with that since you are a prospective customer. She has provided me with a link to a white paper, which I am researching now. Did you know that this product has been discontinued?