Dan
Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years repairing and installing computers. Comp TIA+ Certified
1567601

I need to launch my desktop from usb so I can use password

Customer Question

I need to launch my desktop from usb so I can use password ***** software but it won't let me do this
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. What version of Windows are you running, and can you tell me the make and model of the computer please?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

This is most likely due to the boot order setup in the BIOS. Enter your BIOS and change the USB device to the first boot position in the list. Make sure you save the settings then restart with your flash drive plugged in to a USB port.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using windows 7 on a HP Touchsmart 310 PC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't log onto the home screen as I have forgotten my password
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can you connect to my device if I can't get into it?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Okay I now understand. The way you worded the question, I thought you were trying to use a password ***** from a USB drive and were just unable to boot from that? Is it your Windows password ***** have forgotten or the BIOS password?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi yes it's the windows password. I have downloaded isunshare onto a USB but I can't start that either
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The easiest way to go about this is to use a password ***** utility and boot from a DVD. I can provide you with that information for both a free utility and a paid version. The paid version will be a little easier and faster to work with, but I will leave that up to you. The paid version can be found at this LINK. The free version at this LINK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had a look and it all looks totally foreign to me. I have access to a laptop but it doesn't have a CD drive on it
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

That shouldn't be any problem. Either of those programs can be loaded onto a USB drive and you can boot from that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can you remotely access the computer?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately unless you can unlock it I wouldn't be able to gain remote access to it either. Are you having problems downloading either program to reset the password?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Are you still having problems? If so, please let me know and I will continue to assist you.