Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Tried to start my Pavilion G6 but it says can't find boot

tried to start my Pavilion G6 but it says can't find boot device please install an operating system.It has windows 10 installed which was the free upgrade from windows 8.Ive tried the resets but nothing working,ca I fix this myself? THANKS Pete Demeza
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there Pete and welcome

This means it is not finding the hard drive.

Can you remove the battery and power cable please then hold the power button down for 60 seconds then release.

Once done, connect the battery and power cable and power on the G6 and tell me if it then starts please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried that but still get the same screen it didn't work.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

thanks

Start the computer and as it is starting, keep tapping F10

Are you able to get into the setup?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just the setup utility screen
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, now choose Reset to Default, and Save this and then tell me if it starts please Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
already tried these before its not working just goes back to same screen
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It is the hard drive or sata port on the motherboard that has faulted. Nearly always it is the hard drive that's crashed.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the G6 to have first the hard drive replaced to confirm its the issue, else the motherboard needs replacing as its one of these two. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.