Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Other
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

I wonder if you could help me. I purchased an HP laptop

I wonder if you could help me. I purchased an HP laptop about November last year serial number CND52864LJ model number 15-ac020n9. I am having a problem with this. I switched the laptop on last night and it seemed to go through all the start up procedure (entering my password *****;) but when it had warmed up completely I had lost all my taskbar icons except for the network the clock and the star button and Cortana. When I went to select any of these it didn't let me in at all, all I got was the timer icon on the screen. On the main screen everything except the Recycle bin had disappeared. I can actually go into the recycle bin and there are items in there that I have deleted previously. I know that there is a way to go back say 2 days and restore the computer to how it was, but I don't know how to do that please can you help as I had a lot of important documents in my documents folder besides all my favourites on the network I would be grateful if you could help thank you Sandra Walsh
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Please try the following fix:

- Press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type rstrui then click OK, then the System Restore window should open. Then click on Next, and restore the computer to any date before this issue first occurred, and check.

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Viet for some reason now when I switched on the laptop everything is back as it was without carrying out your instruction, can you tell me is it necessary for me to do what you said or will it be OK now. And can you tell me what caused it? thank you

You're welcome. Great. No, do not try my fix above as the laptop is working now. That was just a glitch. It should be fine now, but in the future, if this issue occurs again, the first thing you can do is to press and hold the Power on / off button for about 10 seconds, then turn it back on and check. If that does not work, then try my fix above.

Do you need anything else for now? Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Monthly support is only optional. This is a one-time support session per your request. If you have any further question, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. If you need help with any computer issue in the future, please come back any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service today by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit. Thank you very much,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Viet I have now cancelled my membershipSandra Walsh

You're welcome. Got it. Thank you.