Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have an HP officeJet 3830 printer/fax/scan/copy machine My

I have an HP officeJet 3830 printer/fax/scan/copy machine
My computer operating system is Windows 10
The scanner function does not work.
I have used your site to trouble shoot without success
The device says to open the software & select scanner actions. I cannot find this option.
The copy and print options work correctly
can you help?
Matt Maudsley***@******.***
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

What exactly happens when you try to scan?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No computer found
Make sure scanning to a computer is turned on
Windows: open the HP printer software select 'scanner actions' then select ' manage scan to computer
when one opens the software there is no 'scanner actions'
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change,
I have found the details of the printer on my PC and it says there is a problem, the driver is not available
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, but you did a full reinstall of the printer correct?

Can you tell me the steps you did to do this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I connected to the HP website which correctly identified the device.
From there I downloaded the full software and installed it when prompted by HP
When I found I had no scanner I went to their support which checked the software and confirmed it was the latest available.Is the problem that the HP 3830 is not windows 10 compatible? (even though I have just bought it!!)If so can I fool the system by telling it I have windows 8My wife did this with a cannon printer and it worked fine
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, we cannot fool the system, but I want you to properly uninstall and reinstall it please

Click start, type in devices and click on devices and printers.

Then right click the printer and select remove

Then restart the computer

Once done, download and install the drivers from here

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-OfficeJet-3830-All-in-One-Printer-series/7172321/model/7172322

Click on download, download and install it and tell me if it now works correctly please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, all done, software uninstalled, full feature software downloaded and installed.
No difference
Computer says 'needs trouble shooting, no driver available
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It is the internal mainboard in the printer that has faulted, this now confirms it

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.