Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Photosmartd5100 new ink installed black and colour. printer

photosmartd5100
new ink installed black and colour.
printer showing error 2 ink drops and on off switch flashing.
can you advise
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no the fault is still there
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Did you have the error before installing the new cartridges?

If so, can you remove them, put the old ones back in and tell me if it removes this error please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no the cartridges ran out of ink . purchased new ones from HP and installed them today
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, remove the cartridges and leave them out, does it then change the error?

If so, did you remove the plastic covering the contacts on the cartridges?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will take cartridges out , yes removed plastic covers
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, let me know if the error changes when you take them out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cartridges will not slide to the right to be removed
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Can you move them by hand manually?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not enough room to remove cartridges unless at default position at the right hand side
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, if you remove the power, then connect the power again (from the wall socket) does it then move at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
moved side to side then stopped at extreme left , not at default position so cannot access cartridges
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** the issue

It is the internal mainboard that has faulted. We have ruled out all other causes for this.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the warranty has expired so this has cost me £26 for a no fix!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You have already paid the deposit which was for the service I provided to go through all possible causes and rule them out to confirm the problem.

This is what we did and what you paid for. If we were only paid for fixing an issue, no one would have taken your question due to the possibility of it not being resolvable.

You now have the issue confirmed and know what you need to do.

If you need anything else, please let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok then. however can you send details ie address of where to send printer for repair. Will the printer travel ok with cartridges in place if I still cannot get them out seeing as they are new and full of ink ?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

If the warranty has expired I advise against a repair as the cost of the repair exceeds the value of a new printer (they are too inexpensive now to justify getting one repaired)

I would advise to get a long screwdriver or something that can reach the carriage and use this to wedge it out with the printer having no power.

Then get the cartridges out

Then ensure that the replacement printer you get uses the same cartridges.

You can see the ones it uses here

http://www.hp.com/pageyield/en-150/yields/PSD5100_page.html?cCode=uk