Russell H.
Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I have HP phtosmart 7510 C331a PRINTER. The black cartridge

Customer Question

I have HP phtosmart 7510 C331a PRINTER.
The black cartridge will not print. I have used the instructions on the scan doctor icon with no success. I have just ordered a box of XL cartridges HP364 thinking the problem maybe the ink cartridge but still wont work. This is a nuisance as I need to print labels on Parcel2go and they will not accept coloured labels. I would like to know how much a service would cost or if would it be better to buy a new printer. I do note on the internet that others had had the same problem with this printer!!
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What exactly is failing to work? aside from 'alignment'... and is that automatic alignment, or have you tried manual alignment too?

Is the print quality poor?

The black ink not printing, not putting any ink onto the paper, is not an alignment problem at all. It may be that the printhead has clogged up, or that the ink system needs the following procedure, which often is effective in reviving a printer that seems like a hopeless case and that seems likely (before you go through this exact procedure, with all the details) likely to have to be replaced:

In outline:

1. Clean the (black) printhead. (Using the 'Clean Printhead' or Printhead Cleaning function in the Maintenance section of your printer's software, or the Maintenance section of its own menu/settings.)

2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)

This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.

3. Clean the printhead a second time.

4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.

5. Clean the printhead a third time.

Then test whether black ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried the alignment on the printer screen under "Tools".
I could print in every other colour except black. Then I read you had advised another caller to clean underneath the cartridge in question and so I did this and left computer and printer off for half an hour and turned back on. Then I cleaned cartridges again but now the printer is advising problem with paper. Have taken out and put fresh paper in machine but nothing happens. Also it is now telling me I'm low in photo ink and I dont have a replacement until tomorrow. Am I able to use the single black photo cartridge with the XL colour cartridges or do they all have to be uniform, either XL or single cartridges?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

They don't all have to be XL nor all single cartridges, provided that the right type of each is used that the printer is compatible with.

But if the regular black is still not working, having the photo black may not be sufficient for the printer to work properly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As long as my printer is working at the end of remote session it is ok but this is very expensive if problem is not solved.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried the procedure I recommended and spelled out in detail?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now it is advising that the paper size detected by printer sensor does not match paper size selected in software. I've checked computer print software and it states A4 size paper and there is A4 paper in the printer tray. This problem only occurred after I followed out your instruction.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

The paper size selected in software, may be selected in any one of several places.

- the printer's driver settings

- the MS Word settings

- even, perhaps, the selection in the printer's own settings themselves.

If you check and correctly set all of the above, for the tray where the A4 paper is loaded, and also make sure that Auto Size Detect is set appropriately, then it should work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still getting paper size problem. I've checked computer which is ok but cannot see anything on the printer about paper size. Have been into Settings which only give Preference and Tools which do not show any paper size. I think I need the remote control adviser.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Try

Control Panel

View Devices and Printers

right-click on printer's icon there

select Properties

Look for Paper Size setting there.

When have have chosen either A4 or Automatic Paper Sensing / Auto Sense for Paper Size, save the changed setting, by clicking on OK, until the Properties sheet closes. Then try again. If the printer is still cranky at this point, turn it Off for 2 minutes, then turn it On again.

If that doesn't get it working, I will cede the case to another Expert at once.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had already done this twice but I thought I'd try a third time, just for luck. It definitely says A4 paper size. When I printed one document from the printer I received a very light grey print. When I tried a 2nd document it came up with paper-size mismatch again. Also the printer will not print out Status or Quality report, just says change paper, which I have also tried without success.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like a case where the printer is in an uncertain state, and having many problems.

I will give up this case to any other Expert who has further ideas.

I'd like to just ask in parting, how old the printer is, please?

Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience: Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is 4 years old.
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 1 year ago.

Dear Brenda,

my name is***** see you have requested a remote assistance and I have accepted your request. If you wish, I will now take a look at your computer so that we can go through the printer settings and perform a few more checks to make sure it is not a software problem.

To start the connection, please download:

http://download.anydesk.com/AnyDesk.exe

.... start the "AnyDesk.exe" and answer with the 9 digits number that will be shown to you in the AnyDesk window.

Thank you very much and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is happening I have come up with many screens all over the place? I dont like this at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it would be easier just to purchase a new printer as this way of contacting HP is expensive.

Dear Brenda,

you just need to download:

http://download.anydesk.com/AnyDesk.exe

.. start the "AnyDesk.exe" after downloading by double-clicking on it and then a window will open that shows a 9 digits number, this number you just have to tell me here.

But yes, seeing the communication with your previous expert, it might indeed make sense to just purchase a new one. Maybe I can help with that if you just let me know what requirements you have for your printer (should it also be able to scan for example? etc.).

Thank you very much,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I certainly need to scan and need a very clear print as I design my own greetings cards. I also need a printer that takes 300 gsm card. I was looking at the HP Envy 7640 £130.00. What is your advice?

Please allow a few minutes for your answer to be ready, I am looking through some printers for you already....

Dear Brenda,

thanks for your patience. I first had a look at some Forums to make sure about the 300 GSM cards. While the Envy should theoretically work with those, I found many people that have problems with it. However, the Canon PIXMA MG7550 should be a good fit your instead. Almost the same price-tag and people are happy with it all over, especially with the 300 GSM cards.

Should I look up the cheapest UK retailer for you for this printer?

Thank you very much,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I can do that myself. Will I get a refund of the remote access £22.00 as we didn't get through on this? Also, I didn't get any help with the £34.00 query in the first place as he couldn't advise what the problem was. Do HP sell the Canon PIXMA MG 7550. If so, would they be prepared to give me a discount as I feel that I have wasted a day on going to the stationers to buy an XL photo cartridge and spending time on the helpline without any satisfaction. I also purchased very recently a High Yield Colour Cartridge 4-pack on line with HP which will be no use to me unless I purchase this printer again. I am totally stressed out with this. I have now wasted a total of £120 for nothing and I cannot afford to do this.4-pack High Yield Cartridge

Dear Brenda,

I totally understand your frustration, I have been through the same with my printer recently.

Indeed we haven´t done a remote-assistance as planned, but instead I have worked for you (and still am) by continuing to advise you where your previous expert left off and have looked for a printer for you as well as checking out if it will work perfectly with the 300 gsm cards (which the printer you mentioned wouldn´t have done correctly as many people have problems with it), which time-wise resulted in the same amount of work for me like a remote-assistance would have done. And I am still available for you right now. Please understand that we are independent experts (we don´t work for JustAnswer, JustAnswer just mediates your question to us) which dedicate our time to question like yours to help you out as good as possible.

As for HP selling the Canon, this is 100% no the case, because both are competitors. So I doubt that they will give you any kind of discount if you buy a new printer. That would make no sense for HP.

Please let me know if I can help further with this problem, I am here to help you and guide you.

Thank you very much,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am certainly not happy with this service. I expected by printer problem to be sorted but it is far from the case. This is supposed to offer 100% satisfaction and I have no satisfaction at all. I could have found the computer info from the internet myself and feel this should have been included in the £34 I paid in the first place as Russell H passed me to you as he could not deal with my computer problem. The £22 was paid for a remote access session which did not take place at all and therefore this should be refunded. I still do not know what the problem is with my printer and it has been a total waste of my time and cost me £56 for nothing. If I had known that you did not work for HP I would never have used this service and I intend to complain to HP for having this service on their website. I was paying to solve my printer problem which no-one has done. I am very angry and disappointed.

Dear Brenda,

I totally understand your situation and frustration and have asked our category-moderator for advise how to proceed with this. Please allow some time until you will hear back from him.

Thank you very much,

Lorenz Vauck