Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
What exactly is failing to work? aside from 'alignment'... and is that automatic alignment, or have you tried manual alignment too?
Is the print quality poor?
The black ink not printing, not putting any ink onto the paper, is not an alignment problem at all. It may be that the printhead has clogged up, or that the ink system needs the following procedure, which often is effective in reviving a printer that seems like a hopeless case and that seems likely (before you go through this exact procedure, with all the details) likely to have to be replaced:
1. Clean the (black) printhead. (Using the 'Clean Printhead' or Printhead Cleaning function in the Maintenance section of your printer's software, or the Maintenance section of its own menu/settings.)
2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)
This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.
3. Clean the printhead a second time.
4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.
5. Clean the printhead a third time.
Then test whether black ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.
After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)
So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)