Lorenz Vauck
Lorenz Vauck, Computer Expert
Experience:  17 years of experience in fixing problems with DOS, Linux, Mac OS, iOS, Android & Windows. Just ask me :)
78122054

How do I set a PIN number on my HP ENVY laptop, it says I

How do I set a PIN number on my HP ENVY laptop, it says I need to set a PIN number to use the fingerprint scanner to log on.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 1 year ago.

Dear Mike,

thank you very much for your question. My name is***** and I would like to help you today.

To setup the fingerprint feature on your HP Envy, you need to setup HP SimplePass per this guide (during this process you will also setup the PIN that you need):

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03653209

If this does not work for you or you have questions, just reply to me and I will help you further to resolve the issue. In case I was able to help you already, I would appreciate if you could give ma 3 to 5 stars rating for my work.

Thank you so much and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but the answer pertains to Windows 8 only I am using Windows 10

Dear Mike,

thanks for the reply. Yes, I know. But the installation on Windows 10 is about the same as it relates to the HP software actually. Did you try it yet?

Lorenz Vauck

Sorry that you are not happy, but there is no need to rate me negative, I am here to help you until your problem is resolved. Please be so kind and change it back to 3 stars until we resolved your issue. I want you to be happy with my service. Thanks a lot.

Also, I didn´t know you are on Windows 10, you didn´t mention it in your original question and since the Envy´s have been shipped with Windows 8 in the past, it also could have been Windows 8. In any case, you could just have told me that you need the installation for Windows 10 instead to rate negative. I am here to help you and we can set it up together on your Windows 10 as well.

Are you still there Mike? Please let me know when you are, so that we can go through the setup for Windows 10 step by step together. Thank you.

Just message me again when you are back and we will continue to fix your problem. Thank you very much.

Dear Mike,

since you don´t seem to be online anymore right now, I am providing the solution for you right now and look forward to your reply. Please let me know if you have any requests in relation to it, I am here to get the problem solved for you. Please do the following:

1) Download ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71729.exe

2) Start the just downloaded sp71729.exe by double-clicking it.

3) First chose to install the Driver

4) Reboot

5) Start it again and now chose to install the Software

6) Reboot

7) Now launch the HP SimplePass Software and follow the instructions.

Please note that alternatively you can also use "Windows Hello" from Windows 10 which does the exact same thing as the HP software! The HP software is not really needed anymore in Windows 10. See here how to setup Windows Hello with your fingerprint device

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/871186d6-b09d-4b31-bfc3-bb80ce71dc10/learn-about-windows-hello-and-set-it-up

I hope I was able to help you this time and you are satisfied. If not, please reply again and we will take it further with your problem. I am hoping for a re-rating from you between 3 to 5 stars, because only then I get honored for my work by JustAnswer as an independent expert.

I wish a great day or night and send best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The HP Software attempt (HP Simple Pass) did not work, however the Microsoft Hello did so problem solved. Thanks

That´s great to hear, did you use "Windows Hello" now as I recommended? Please be so kind to change the rating to at least 3 stars for me please. Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Dear Mike,

thank you for the new kind rating, which made me very happy! If you have any questions in the future, please enter them in the format "For expert ComputerVauck ONLY: Question ......." at the following site:

http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=78122054&SRD=true&rpt=21004

I wish you a great time and remain until next time with best regards,

Lorenz Vauck