Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a new HP laptop which replaced my beloved HP of

Customer Question

I have a new HP laptop which replaced my beloved HP of fifteen years of age. I find it intensely irritating to have to log into my OWN computer with a password, not just at the beginning of my day, but every time I leave my computer for more than two minutes. How do I stop this excessively infuriating thing please? I have asked Currys KNOWHOW (I bought it from Currys) but they have been unable to help.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

To do this, you need to set it to auto sign in.

These are the exact steps to do this

Open the Run command box (Start > All apps > Windows System > Run or press Windows key + R). In the text box, type netplwiz and press Enter.

A User Accounts window will open. Under Users for this computer: select your username and then uncheck the box next to Users must enter a user name and password ***** use this computer. ClickApply.

A new window labeled Automatically sign in will pop up. Type your password ***** and then click OK.

It will then skip the sign in for you

Your computer will now bypass the log-in page when you turn on your PC, but it will not bypass the login page when you unlock your PC. You can also change your sign-in options so that Windows will never require you to sign in after your PC wakes from sleep by going to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Else let me know please how you go.